RSW subs--that dial thingy

Femtochemistry

hi,

On my RSW-10 sub, there is the dial that goes from 40-120 for frequncy. Now, what does that mean? what if i put it at 80 or 90 or 100? can someone PLEASE explain it to me--and what is the best setting for it. Furthermore, what is that switch that says disable LFE mode and enable lowpass? And the other switch that says polarity 180 and 0. please explain this to me since i am new to this HT stuff. what should i put the settings to?

I am using a single subwoofer cable that goes from my denon 3802 sub-preout to the RSW line in.

thanks!

the cross over (the dial that has the 40-120 hz reading) is to change how high you want your sub to go. say you have some really small bookshelf speakers that only go down to 70 hz, you can change the crossover on the subwoofer to meet that by setting it up to about 75. This will cause the subwoofer to play all frequencies up to 75 hz and below. The best setting for this depends on what your other speakers are. like I said above, if you have small speakers you'll want to set it higher to fill in the ranges that the bookshelfs miss, but generaly, if you can do it, you want it as low as possible. as for the 180 and 0 polarity switch, this just switches the subwoofer to in and out of phase with the other spekaers in your system. If it is in phase, the woofer on your subwoofer will move in and out at the same time as your main speakers. if it is out of phase, it will move opposit the woofers in the rest of your system. In most cases, in phase works the best, or at least for my set up. as for the LFE, that stands for low frequency effects. If you enable this, and set the LFE on your receiver/preamp to enable the LFE, it sends the LFE to the sub.

----------------

On 12/22/2002 11:58:26 AM Femtochemistry wrote:

kool thanks,

whats the point of the polarity though? i am gonna leave it to 0--i guess. If i enable lowpass i can use the knob to control the frequency right? or do i have to disable it to use the knob?

thanx man

----------------

Yes. If you enable the low pass, then you can adjust your crossover point with the knob.

~shoe

The polarity switch is there to eliminate Standing waves. In other words, if you sit in a spot in your room and get not enough bass or too much bass it could be because Bass Frequencies are very long and can sometimes bounce off of one wall to the next and go right over your head. If you are in a dead spot, you can switch the phase and you'll get your bass back. You can take a dB meter and check different spots in a room and see what I mean.