For Sale Klipsch KLF-30's

drewbalsman

Hmmm, I might be intrested in a single KLF-30 for a new project. I am considring building a seven KLF-30 theater using "horizontalized" KLF-30's for the front center, both surrounds and two rear effects speakers in a 7.1 configuration. My calculations show that speakers mounted horizontally provide a better dispersion factor in creating a rear array with better ambient qualities without loss of full-range directionality. My intent is to build storage cabinets below the speakers in an attempt to have form follow function.

I also intend to mount the Tractrix horn of the center speaker in a vertical orientation to provide a more narrow dispersion angle to provide a better relationship ship with the flanking mains in relation to the screen. So much of the total sound on a DVD is forced through the center channel... and center channels are usually comparitively wimpy to their "designated" mains... that toning down the center to hear more from the mains is a point to ponder.

Having a center that truly matches the mains in size and timbre... along with a subwoofer system that can hit 121.5 dB at 20 Hz... makes a sound system that makes well mixed DVD's so great that one can't help feeling sorry for those who haven't had the experience. The technology and mixing artistry on DVD's have clearly gone beyond the reach of most "off the shelf" home theater systems.

So, now I have three Klipsch projects perculating in my mind. 1. A seven Klipschorn theater for my next home. 2. A seven KLF-30 theater in a specially designed building to be donated to my club. 3. A "home" theater that can be hauled from site-to-site to invite my Renaissance Faire friends to enjoy between busy faire weekends.

In light of the third option, I have been investigating some interesting non-standard room modifications to provide the largest sweet spot for the minimum amount of square footage. Also under investigation are foam panels sandwiched between rigid material that will provide an adequate sound barrier for the bottom scraping bass that needs to be contained within.

More posts on this subject are likely to be forthcoming in the New Year. -HornED

Roy, if you can't find KSP-S6's you might try more KLF-30's... I use six of them in a 6.1 system plus a pair of KLF-C7's as Front Effects speakers... add an adequate subwoofer and your friends, relatives and pets will be dazzled with the result. Congratulations on owning a Legend in your own time. Enjoy! -HornED

PS: Isn't it great to have a Forum where people watch out for one another. You can bet there are plenty of Legend owners who will cheer you on!

Ed - thanks for the advice. I have read many of your comments about the KLF-30s, and they had a fair amount of influence on my final desicion. It must be quite an expierience to listen to 6 of them. In the 60s (dating myself now) my wife worked for Home Entertainment which is now Tweeter, and there is no telling how many hours we spent after the store closed auditioning all the Klipsch speakers. Our dream was to own the Khorns, but we could not afford them. We once even went to the factory in Hope Arkansaw for a tour as Paul's guest. It's sad that he has passed on now, but maybe he's working on yet another way to add to our enjoyment in another time. Your traveling HT system also sounds like quite an adventure. Anyway, I have finally aquired my first Klipsch speakers. Many thanks to all for taking time to share their wisdom.

Roy