Matching subwoofer sound level with main speakers

Music_Smurf

If I were to connect the Speaker Output from my receiver to the High Level Input of the subwoofer and then connect the High Level Output from the subwoofer to the bookshelf speakers, how would I set the sound level of the subwoofer to match the output of the bookshelf? I own a digital SPL meter, and I have a CD (provided by HSU) that has pink noise. How can I isolate the sound so it only plays out of the subwoofer or the bookshelf so I can compare the levels?

What I do although I don't use the high level inputs is this. Set the crossover to just above the output of your main speakers as in 60 hz or whatever it may be. Than play some music and have the sub turned all the way down have someone turn it up while your at your listening spot until you just start to hear the sub and fine tune it to your ears from there. Its your ears that count here !!

This is how I do it using pink noise. Pink noise is a signal spanning all frequencies.

Start by turning your sub volume knob on the sub all the way down to zero so that there will be no sub output. Play the pink noise and record the sound pressure level from the mains. Then disconnect the speaker cables going to your mains at the sub. Now play the pink noise again turning the sub volume knob up until the sub output equals the output recorded previously from the mains. The output of both should now be approximately the same.

Reconnect the main speaker cables and play some familiar music. Tweak the sub volume by ear to your liking.

Doug C.