Seeking RF-3 Woofer

Speakerwoofer

Simply speakers has them direct for $84 and you don't have to go through eBay.  I ordered 4 of them last year to replace the drivers in my RF-3.  They are original Klipsch drivers  and fit perfectly.  The connectors are different, but I just soldered the speaker wires directly to the speaker terminals. (You could also use crimp-on style quick disconnect clips if so desired)  I hope this helps.  Also, if you look on their page, they address this issue and offer a solution....

• "The terminals connectors on this woofer may be a slightly different size than your original. You can request that we send slip-on connectors in the notes section of your order if using for one of these alternate models. Or you can cut the terminal to fit your wiring."

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-1011974-rf-82-mkii-woofer/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Simply speakers has them direct for $84 and you don't have to go through eBay.  I ordered 4 of them last year to replace the drivers in my RF-3.  They are original Klipsch drivers  and fit perfectly.  The connectors are different, but I just soldered the speaker wires directly to the speaker terminals. (You could also use crimp-on style quick disconnect clips if so desired)  I hope this helps.  Also, if you look on their page, they address this issue and offer a solution....

• "The terminals connectors on this woofer may be a slightly different size than your original. You can request that we send slip-on connectors in the notes section of your order if using for one of these alternate models. Or you can cut the terminal to fit your wiring."

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-1011974-rf-82-mkii-woofer/

Thanks I saw those replacements, but I only need to replace 1 woofer and they mention that the new design lacks a "bucking magnet" and may not sound the same as originals. Do you think I would notice any difference with 3 originals and one of the newer design woofers?

Actually after reading the reviews on the simply speakers site, several customers have used them as replacements in rf3s and are happy, I will go this route. Thanks

A bucking magnet is only to make the speaker shielded for close placement to CRT TV's, It's a mute point these days and has no audible effect on sound.

I had several sets of RF-3's and I did an A/B comparison between the set I installed these new woofers in and an all original set.  (I use a speaker switch, so I can instantly switch back and forth for immediate comparisons) I could hear no difference under normal listening conditions.  I'm sure someone who connected everything up to neat equipment to take super precise measurements could measure a difference... but then these are the same people that tell you putting your speaker cables on little pucks to keep them off the carpet make a difference too!

If your worried about it, replace all 4 like I did... then I just sold the slightly damaged ones to people who just needed a woofer to play sound and didn't care about what it looked like. (One guy said he always keeps the grill on now, so he will never see the slight crease in the cone!)  I think I priced the blemished ones around $20 each and they all sold within several months.  Over the remaining life of the speaker, the extra $$ you put into it is negligible. Plus, it also updates the look of the speaker if you plan on not using the grill (that some/most of the little tabs probably fell off anyway!)

I hope this helps.

5 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

A bucking magnet is only to make the speaker shielded for close placement to CRT TV's, It's a mute point these days and has no audible effect on sound.

I had several sets of RF-3's and I did an A/B comparison between the set I installed these new woofers in and an all original set.  (I use a speaker switch, so I can instantly switch back and forth for immediate comparisons) I could hear no difference under normal listening conditions.  I'm sure someone who connected everything up to neat equipment to take super precise measurements could measure a difference... but then these are the same people that tell you putting your speaker cables on little pucks to keep them off the carpet make a difference too!

If your worried about it, replace all 4 like I did... then I just sold the slightly damaged ones to people who just needed a woofer to play sound and didn't care about what it looked like. (One guy said he always keeps the grill on now, so he will never see the slight crease in the cone!)  I think I priced the blemished ones around $20 each and they all sold within several months.  Over the remaining life of the speaker, the extra $$ you put into it is negligible. Plus, it also updates the look of the speaker if you plan on not using the grill (that some/most of the little tabs probably fell off anyway!)

I hope this helps.

That makes sense, thanks a lot for the detailed response! I just placed my order. Cheers