A55G vs A55G/2 vs PRV D2200ph ?

Rolox

Currently using A55G drivers on EV SM120 horns. Crossover frequencies 500 and 6000Hz. Passive at 6000Hz, active at 500. I can use whatever mid driver I want as the crossover system allows for multiple attenuation schemes.

If I were to upgrade, should I consider:

1) keep the existing horns and try the new A55G/2 driver (is there really much of a difference?)

2) buy a pair of ZXPC 18x11 horns and a pair of PRV D2200ph?

In other words, is it really worth it to go with a 2inch driver??

Thanks

The newer horn geometry of the ZXPC 18x10 horn may sound better than the EV SM120. It’s a personal preference. 

In general, 2” drivers have less distortion than 1” drivers, but other factors play into that as well. For a three-way system, the 18x10 horn appears to be a perfect choice due to its flat response from 400 ~ 10kHz, unequalized. 

I listened to both the K55V and 2200Ph on the 18x10 and both sounded great. I give the 2200Ph the edge though. There is some magic going on between the 18x10 and 2200Ph. The sound is very natural, detailed and dynamic.

• Like 1

I have been using the A55G's in my Cornwall 1's for the last few years.  I recently changed to the A55G/2's and in my system the result is much improved resolution.  Vocals sound clearer and more natural.  The music seems to flow better.  Of course YMMV and everyone has different things they are looking for.  For me though the upgrade is well worth it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Curious_George said:

The newer horn geometry of the ZXPC 18x10 horn may sound better than the EV SM120. It’s a personal preference. 

In general, 2” drivers have less distortion than 1” drivers, but other factors play into that as well. For a three-way system, the 18x10 horn appears to be a perfect choice due to its flat response from 400 ~ 10kHz, unequalized. 

I listened to both the K55V and 2200Ph on the 18x10 and both sounded great. I give the 2200Ph the edge though. There is some magic going on between the 18x10 and 2200Ph. The sound is very natural, detailed and dynamic.

The hesitation I have concerns the directivity of the horn. The EV SM120 offers an ultra wide 120° dispersion; I wonder if the ZXPC horn wouldn't be quite beamy, maybe too beamy for a closer-than-optimal listening position (around 10 feet from the speakers!)

10 hours ago, larryk said:

I have been using the A55G's in my Cornwall 1's for the last few years.  I recently changed to the A55G/2's and in my system the result is much improved resolution.  Vocals sound clearer and more natural.  The music seems to flow better.  Of course YMMV and everyone has different things they are looking for.  For me though the upgrade is well worth it.

That's good to know, thanks! 🙂

8 hours ago, Rolox said:

The hesitation I have concerns the directivity of the horn. The EV SM120 offers an ultra wide 120° dispersion; I wonder if the ZXPC horn wouldn't be quite beamy, maybe too beamy for a closer-than-optimal listening position (around 10 feet from the speakers!)

My position is about 12' (speakers are approximately 13' apart) from the speakers and I have not experienced any beaming. As far as I know, no one has complained about any "beaming" from the ZXPC 18x10 or 17x11 horns. 

Some people are more sensitive to beaming than others.