Anyone Heard this before?

imasndtek

The other day I was listening to some music at a moderately loud level, when I started hearing this crackling sound cound come from one of my RF5's. I unplugged the other speaker and isolated the sound to both woofers in my left RF5. I tried taking the speaker wires and swapping them, and the problem stayed with the left speaker. I even hooked up that speaker to the zone 2 outputs of my reciever, and it still happened. There is no specific type of sound that triggers this problem, but it is related to volume. These RF5's are not that old, I am having a real problem believing that the speakers are fried. I had and still have my RF3's and have never had a problem with them in the 3 years that I have had them.

Has anyone else ever heard of something like this? Could it possibly be something in the crossover? I need some help, please!!

" I started hearing this crackling sound"

Clarification please

Is this a mechanical sounding crackle or an electrical sort of sound ? Can you replicate the sound by manually moving the woofer cones or does it occur only when there is an actual signal being fed to the drivers from the amp ?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds to me based on your description that you likely have blown the woofers but get back with the answer to my questions and one of us will likely be able to advise you further.

Well, I figured it out 16.gif. After taking out one of the woofers, and checking them one by one, I narrowed it down to the other woofer. I took it out and inspected it, and saw that the tinsel leads were very close together. So at higher volumes, they would touch causing the speaker to crackle. Now I looked at both of the RF5 woofers that I had taken out, and the way that the tinsel leads attach to the voice coil seems very strange. The leads are only about 1 1/2" apart, but facing eachother, which causes them to come close to one another. I tried bending them away from eachother, but I fear after a short while of listening, that they will draw close to one another again. Did I get some bad drivers? I took out one of my RF3 drivers, to look at it, and those leads attach on either side of the voice coil, making it practically impossible for them to touch. Has anyone heard any news of this before? Was there a bad batch of 8" woofers made like this?