Signal Chain Help (spend my money)

Orbit

Hello,

Looking for help with getting more out of my new to me system.  

Current signal chain is SL-1200mk2 w/Shure M44G(needle nearly kaput) running into the phono on a Sansui G-3500 and out to La Scala.  

Tomorrow I go to pick up a home build CV based 3x3x2 18" folded horn sub.  

Questions I have are related to equipment upgrades and replacements.  The La Scala are the only piece of this mess I sought out intentionally.  The receiver was $20 buck tack on at a deal I made on a chair and the SL was $300 when I bought the La Scalas.

I don't know what to do from here.  My understanding of streaming HIFI and it's components gets more muddy as I read.

Would a Phono Stage and a different cartridge be a logical next step?  If so is there a Phono Stage around the 1k mark that will play nice with tube and solidstate amps as well as DACs and turntables?  That would leave around $700 in my self imposed budget for a cartridge or something else.

Thank you,

Greg

• Like 1

There is a Phase Linear 4000 Autocorrelation Preamplifier bearish to me for $500.  Recently serviced.  It looks to have plenty of IO.  The unit is big and classy looking.  Could this fit the bill or would something made this century work better?

Thank you,

Fabulous classic!  If all the switches & controls are cleaned & quiet, and the autocorrelator & peak unlimiter work OK, the 4000 is a tour de force of features and performance, including an SQ matrix surround decoder which musically blows away any Dolby processing, IMHO.

• Like 1