Luxman SQ-N150 or Leben CS300(X/F)

superelmar

Hi there folks!

After owning McIntosh SS and some others amps, willing to go back to tubes. Miss them Badly! (sold my MA8900 and Audio Physic Avantera III).

Bought a Forte III and looking for a good match for them (after own an Heresy III back in time).

The Leben was my first tube amps which I remember so happy, after change for a 300B.

Any of U with experience either with Luxman or Leben? What could be the sonic difference between them?

Cheers!

6 hours ago, superelmar said:

Hi there folks!

After owning McIntosh SS and some others amps, willing to go back to tubes. Miss them Badly! (sold my MA8900 and Audio Physic Avantera III).

Bought a Forte III and looking for a good match for them (after own an Heresy III back in time).

The Leben was my first tube amps which I remember so happy, after change for a 300B.

Any of U with experience either with Luxman or Leben? What could be the sonic difference between them?

Cheers!

I'm the happy owner of an original Leben CS300. I like it a lot, even if it has a low hum. This is typical of the CS300's design. The CS300X/F doesn't have that issue.

The Luxman SQ-N150 was on  my shortlist too, and definitely has some interesting features that the Leben is lacking and is therefore the more 'complete' amplifier.

- a built-in phono stage (mm and mc)

- a remote

- bass/treble/balance nobs (absent with Leben, but Leben does have a +3dB/+6dB for more bass (it's like a 'loudness button') - I keep mine on +3dB all the time.)

- The Leben has 5 line inputs, while the Luxman has only 3. (I'm using 3 on my Leben: phono, CD and DAC)

- The Leben is auto-biasing, the Luxman is not.

The two amps are using the same type of tubes, and they have very similar power output too. Luxman uses their own branded tubes (new, I guess), while Leben uses new old stock tubes (most say this is better, but Luxman won't be using 'duds' either).

If you consider longevity, it will be very hard to find Leben's nos tubes in ten years time, while for Luxman it will be easier (I think).

I bought my Leben CS300 at an interesting used price. If I were in the market for buying one of these two babies new, I would have a very difficult time deciding...

At the end of the day, it is more a decision of style, rather than anything else... As for the design and looks, that 's very personal and subjective.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/luxman-sq-n150-integrated-amplifier

Four Slovakian-made JJ Electronic EL84 pentode power tubes produce 10Wpc in push-pull mode, alongside two JJ Electronic 12AX7/ECC83 dual-triode input-driver tubes.

These tubes are arguably the best 'new' tubes on the market: they are good 'real' new tubes, not bad copies made in Russia/China branded with famous names.