Cinema 1200

David Montgomery

• 2 months later...

Hi There, just wondering if there is something I should know about the latest firmware for the Cinema 1200 (MCU 101)? I have it downloaded on a drive but wasn't going to install it until I checked here first. I am aware that MCU 101 is only compatible with MCU 92 or higher.

Thanks.

On 5/16/2022 at 8:24 AM, Nerf Herder said:

Hi There, just wondering if there is something I should know about the latest firmware for the Cinema 1200 (MCU 101)?

Yes! I wouldn't install it. 

The latest publicly available firmware, which Klipsch has removed from their website, updated the Cinema 1200 firmware to MCU v99 > WIFI 1.0.151.0 > DSP 4.9 > SUR T 82 > SUR R 82 > SUR L 82 > SUB T 03 > SUB R 06 > HDMI 43. Prior to that there was a firmware update that changed DSP 4.4 to DSP 4.9.

There have been a lot of issues with firmware updates. Some soundbars became quite unstable after the above firmware was installed. 

If the soundbar had an Internet connection, it would try to update itself automatically. Most of the time, that update would not complete successfully leaving the soundbar in an unstable state. The workaround was to install the above firmware update manually. I don't know if this is still an issue or if Klipsch has prevented the soundbar from updating itself automatically.

Klipsch is aware of these issues and is working to resolve them. They have sent emails to some customers asking that they try the newest firmware which updates the soundbar to MCU v101 > WIFI 1.0.206.0 > DSP 5.0 > SUR T 82 > SUR R 82 > SUR L 82 > SUB T 03 > SUB R 06 > HDMI 43. There are some reports of issues with the new firmware. 

Keep in mind that these newest firmware components are not yet publicly available and must be viewed as beta versions, at best. Furthermore, the MCU, WIFI, and DSP firmware are designed to work together and installing just one of those components with older firmware may produce unpredictable results.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this. I've been sitting on the sidelines waiting for a public release but it looks like nothing yet. I see the latest version on the update page is MCU v106 > WIFI 1.0.209.0 > DSP 5.0 > SUR T 80 > SUR R 80 > SUR L 80 > SUB T 03 > SUB R 06 > HDMI 43.

My unit is connected to the internet directly, not via WI-FI, it has never updated the firmware "automatically". Not sure why. I am currently running MCU v92 which I had to do manually. Most of the time it is pretty stable but sometimes a reboot and or power cycle is needed to restart.

Anyone out there running v106? Anyone actually see the release notes on v106?

1 hour ago, Nerf Herder said:

Anyone out there running v106? Anyone actually see the release notes on v106?

I just updated my Cinema 800 a couple of weeks ago with the latest firmware from Klipsch. The Cinema 800 and Cinema 1200, while different products, have many similarities and similar issues.

I have not seen any Release Notes from the Cinema 1200 firmware documentation. 

These are the latest firmware versions for the Cinema 800:

MCU 107 > WIFI 1.0.209.0 > DSP 5.0 > SUR T 04 > SUR R 11 > SUB T 03 > SUB R 02 > HDMI 43

While this firmware hasn't resolved all my issues it definitely is an improvement.

These are the release notes on the firmware documentation I received from Klipsch for the Cinema 800.

• Resolved "no sound after prolonged standby or mute" issue, requiring a power cycle
  • Addressed crackling in surround speakers
  • User experience has been improved.
    • FACTORY RESET now scrolls when device is reset.
    • Night Mode and Dialog Mode now preview the current setting before changing.
    • The bar no longer endlessly scrolls UPDATING when an update is installed.
    • Sometimes the update would cause the bar to no longer power on - aka “bricking.” This has been addressed.
    • No longer scrolls "Network Not Detected" when bar is actually connected to network.
    • Bar no longer wakes up in "CAST" mode, even when not casting from a device
    • Resolved issues related to Mesh Networks
    • Updates to Google Play and Spotify support