CF-4 Owner Looking to Upgrade from Rotel RX-1052

On 6/18/2022 at 11:56 AM, Emile said:

No clue about the Rotel, but have CF-3's. But; switched from a Marantz 2252B (52wpc) to a Kenwood M2A (220wpc) and there was a tremendous improvement :) 

Old thread, but I finally bought a house, renovated it (mostly so far) and got the system settled. I added some power and these is indeed a pretty big difference. 200wpc now. A friend and I did A/B test it. It really does sound more alive. :)

20221226_111740.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, bpplaysguitar said:

Old thread, but I finally bought a house, renovated it (mostly so far) and got the system settled. I added some power and these is indeed a pretty big difference. 200wpc now. A friend and I did A/B test it. It really does sound more alive. :)

Interesting as I've been contemplating that same Rotel preamp and amplifier on the used market as well.  The hardest time I have with used is the no warranty thing....even if the item is 6 months old since warranty is non-transferrable.  I've used my same fully rebuilt Carver C-1 pre (with added remote volume) and M-1.0t amp for over a decade now and kind of wanted some newer gear but, I'm a tight *** and won't pay retail.  lol.  I was in that industry for 25 years and spent the last 9 years as a manufacturers rep and there are some things I can still buy at cost or rep sample price.  But the problem is, the stupid world we live in now where there are constant shortages.  The other setup I've looked at is the Parasound P6 with the A23+ amp as I can get them for cost.  Or, I'll buy either the Rotel or Parasound preamp and keep using my Carver amp which is rated at 460wpc.  I like power.  Those who say 5 or 10 watts is enough power on Epics don't own Epics.  These speakers are NOT realistic on their sensitivity rating and they do like power.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 11:42 AM, avguytx said:

Interesting as I've been contemplating that same Rotel preamp and amplifier on the used market as well.  The hardest time I have with used is the no warranty thing....even if the item is 6 months old since warranty is non-transferrable.  I've used my same fully rebuilt Carver C-1 pre (with added remote volume) and M-1.0t amp for over a decade now and kind of wanted some newer gear but, I'm a tight *** and won't pay retail.  lol.  I was in that industry for 25 years and spent the last 9 years as a manufacturers rep and there are some things I can still buy at cost or rep sample price.  But the problem is, the stupid world we live in now where there are constant shortages.  The other setup I've looked at is the Parasound P6 with the A23+ amp as I can get them for cost.  Or, I'll buy either the Rotel or Parasound preamp and keep using my Carver amp which is rated at 460wpc.  I like power.  Those who say 5 or 10 watts is enough power on Epics don't own Epics.  These speakers are NOT realistic on their sensitivity rating and they do like power.

They do indeed like power, which was a big realization after getting used to my friend's various Heritage models before buying my Epics. 

I recently sold my 100wpc Rotel RX-1052 receiver after 15 years of reliable and pretty much daily use, so I wasn't concerned about not having a warranty. My preamp was open box on Audio Advice so that does have a warranty and I suppose that may be the more complicated product. But if a used one would have been available, I wouldn't have hesitated. The amp was used. 

6 hours ago, bpplaysguitar said:

They do indeed like power, which was a big realization after getting used to my friend's various Heritage models before buying my Epics. 

I recently sold my 100wpc Rotel RX-1052 receiver after 15 years of reliable and pretty much daily use, so I wasn't concerned about not having a warranty. My preamp was open box on Audio Advice so that does have a warranty and I suppose that may be the more complicated product. But if a used one would have been available, I wouldn't have hesitated. The amp was used. 

How are you liking that preamp and amp so far?  Still eyeballing one of those preamps over going the Schiit route and having to add a DAC, phono preamp, etc.  Would rather have less gear.

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

How are you liking that preamp and amp so far?  Still eyeballing one of those preamps over going the Schiit route and having to add a DAC, phono preamp, etc.  Would rather have less gear.

Paired with my CF4s, the whole thing sounds robust and generally awesome. No complaints. The Bluetooth feature is nice to have, and I really don't use a lot of what it has to offer, just optical and Bluetooth. I like how the preamp can trigger the amps power. I personally think the series is beautiful as well.

Disclaimer, my HiFi ownership is limited to the Rotel I had from 2007, and this rig. In terms of speakers, similarly a set of Martin Logans in '07 and now these CF4s. I haven't bought and sold as much gear as perhaps the average forum member. If I like it, I tend to just keep it and enjoy it.

• Like 1