Would like some input on new receiver

SteelerFan

Here is a chance for everyone to throw in their $.02.

It's getting to the time to think about replacing my Yamaha DSP-A1000 Pro Logic pro/amp. My local retailer carries Yamaha,Pioneer,Sony and B&K. I intend to listen to them all but I'd like to have other opinions before making such a large purchase. Especially since I'm far from an expert.

My personal favorite (I know, I shouldn't have a favorite yet) is the B&K. The new AVR505 5 channel comes out the 10th I believe and will probably retail for around $3500. But I'd wait for a sale. I really only have room for 5 speakers anyway. Pioneer VSX-49tx is also $3500, I took a quick look at the price tag. The Yamaha RX-Z1 goes for about $2800. I don't believe it is THX certified. Is the THX really worthwile?

Sony I've already pretty much ruled out.

Oh yeah, phono input on the Pioneer and Yamaha. I do have a turntable, only use it a few times a year however.

Then there is Outlaw, 200w x 7 channel amp and pro/tuner for about $2500 and add about $115 shipping. (Paying shipping is alot cheaper than paying the 7% sales tax at the retailer).

But I really worry about buying something over the net like that. Used to work in shipping for a dept store and I know how that stuff is treated.

Ofcourse I can't hear the Outlaw first. Has anyone else used it? How does it work and sound? No THX on it either, but it's got everything else including bass management. And I could always just upgrade the processor on it eventually and keep the amp.

I'll be listening to the Pioneer,Yamaha and B&K thru RF-7's at my retailer. But you know, the acoustics are not the same as one's own home. And I intend to soon buy the whole reference setup and move my Forte II's out of my theater room and into the family room.

So how do does everyone think?And Happy New Year!9.gif

Suggestion: if you're limited to a 5 speaker set up, you're options expand drmatically if you're willing to look into demo or used equipment. Marantz's flagship receiver line just 2 years ago was 6.1 channel capable, sounds superb, and can be had today at at least a 40% discount off what I paid for it, if not more.

Also, going the separate route might be the right thing to do, since it gives you more flexibilty for later upgrades. Acurus's ACT-3 pre/pro can be had on Ebay for $700 or less. It does not have a phono input (I've seen few pre/pro's that do), but you can always pick up an outboard phono preamp when you're ready to haul out the vinyl. Parasound made a great sounding, but sometimes quirkly (performance-wise) low end pre/pro/tuner combo. It is now discontinued, but still awailable on the 2nd hand market for $6-700. Match it with a Parasound 5 channel amp (the 85 wpc amp of theirs I've seen go for less than $500), and you've got a killer system for not much $$$.

These systems, however, might not be your cup of tea if you MUST have Dolby Pro-Logic II. I don't have it on my system, but I must say that I don't really miss not having it.

Recievers are a lot like Speakers, very subject to taste as long as you are looking at good stuff to begin with you can't really go wrong. I personally prefer Pioneer Elite, you can find them for much better prices than you found, they are some of the best systems out there today, esspcially for the price, others to consider are Dennon (I'm not crazy about) Marrantz (Pretty Nice!) Oynko (not to bad... I do have some concern about the quality though) Harmon Kardon, NAD. Oh by the way I can't spell... :-) Yamaha not bad, but thx is nice to have. I have seen it written that THX is merely a hardware spec rating... fact is it is 2 fold... it is a hardware rating to show it has the Oommmfff to pump the speekers to Theater Specs, but THX is also a decoding extention (alogerithom) other wise know as Ex. It does add a nice touch to home theater... I ussually run it even for Non thx films. I have the VSX-27TX which was one of the early entries for Elite into the upper ranks, had it for about 4 years now... beat it up a lot and it is still kicking! I'm thinking now about moving up to the 47 and retiring my 27 to strictly PC sound, combined with the Nforce 2 boards it kicks nicly! Anyway, take the advice for what it's worth.. just another Steelers fan's Opinion! :-) (Electronic / Network Engineer) 9.gif