Chorus II modified w/LMAHL tweeter & A55 G/2 Mid & Crites xover

So…basically I kept the K48 woofer/passive radiator/enclosure from my original 1990 Chorus II’s.  

I replaced the K79 tweeter with the LMAHL V2 from DaveA.  I then replaced the K61 Mid with a A55G V2/K604 horn. I also replaced the 32 year old xover with a new unit from Crites.  

I followed that up with placing a full shelf brace between the mid and tweeter.  Finally, I affixed damping material on the mid horns & driver rear cups; and all the ribs of the woofers and passive radiator frames.  

I burned it in for about 10 hours.  

My first impression was that it sounded ‘unfamiliar’…a lot of wonderful sounds but  it didn’t seem to be cohesive.  I move the speakers around, shut doors, rearranged furniture.  I put on background music for 36 hours straight. I followed this up by not playing them at all for a three weeks of weeks.  I just wasn’t feeling the love…so, I took a break until I just wanted to listen to my music.  

Put on some Chris Isaac yesterday…what came out was nothing short of amazing.  I followed this up with some acoustic guitar, Whitney Houston, AC/DC, madrigal singers, even some barbershop quartet standards.  Everything was sweet, tight, lively, and smooth.  Tweeter were a touch string so I backed them off about 2db on my Denon AVR graphic equalizer. 

They sound fantastic.  I love the music coming out of them.

• Like 3

That's cool. I did pretty much the same upgrades to my KLF-30's. Despite what some may think, the sound is the same as the original speaker only it is performing properly. 100%. No aging, failing parts or components due to cheaping out from the factory.

The only thing I changed back to original was the tweeters. The MAHL tweeters were too hot for my taste. However, I have two pair of 30's and the pair in my main system have the original tweeters (with titanium diaphragms) and the other pair in my 'Balls Out' system still have the MAHL tweeters because at loud volumes they seem to be more suitable. A little more aggressive but staying smooth at high volumes. I dig it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk