Soundstaging Question

jaguil

I'm sure this question has been addressed before. When I first auditioned my rf-3's that were being driven by a top of the line Adcom amp. I was very impressed by the soundstage they created, and they were'nt even placed in the recommended positions from the back and sidewalls. Right now I'm not in a position to purchase a two thousand dollar amp. and needless to say I can'nt seem to get the same effect from my denon receiver. My question is would a B&K St 125.2(125 watts/channel) or even a 55 watts/channel amp to drive my two front speakers in two channel music help with soundstaging and low level listening detail. Has anyone added a power amp to their denon receiver to help in their two channel music listening.

Klipsch rf-3 mains

Klipsch rc-3 center

Klipsch sb-1 rears

Klipsch ksw-12 sub.

Denon avr2801 receiver

Denon dcm370 cd changer

AudioControl Equalizer

(between cd player & receiver)

Sony dvd player

Van den hul d102III Interconnects

Chord Odyssey speaker cable10.gif

Yes, going to a separate amp will help tremendously. The amp sections in most HT receivers are sub par at best. A word of caution here. Using the Denon's preamp section as the front end to a quality amp is probably not the best option either. However, it will sound better than it does now. Any of the B&K amps are excellent choices for the Reference Series speakers.

Have you really optimized placement? Even two inches can make a dramatic difference. Make sure the baffles of the speakers clear any shelving, or the front of your HT entertainment center. Also make sure the speakers are toed in, with the axes lining up with where you sit.