RF-3 II or RF-5

FMF

Hi

Im about to enter the world of HT. This will be a Project for me due to finacing wont allow it all at once. For now I am looking to buy a set of towers and before I buy I would just like to hear some opinions of the RF-3 II vrs the RF-5.

Let me say that after months of reading and wanting I finally got myself to make the 50 mile drive to my "Local" dealer today to actually see and hear these for the first time. All I was able to hear were the RF-3's and I was just floored. It was hard to leave the store with out them in my hands.

Before I knew the prices I thought I wanted the RF-5. Mainly because they have a little deeper base and a little bigger horn but I also like the cherry wood alot better than the black. Since I wasnt able to hear them for myself I thought I would come here and ask you nice people. Is there much noticable differance in sound?

This is a pretty big investment for me and the towers I chose are probably the most important piece of the system. I have 2 main concerns first being I want to make sure I am 100% happy with what I buy because I probably wont get the chance to do this again until my 2 year old is grown up and moved out! 1.gif Second concern of course is the money. The RF-5 is a big price jump and if I could save that money that will allow me to buy more pieces sooner. But I would be willing to wait on a sub or center to get the better towers now if need be.

Also could someone offer opinions on buying Online at say acoustic sound design vrs buying at my local dealer? The dealer offered a fair price break but I could still save about $100 buying online. Although $100 isnt that much money I guess every little bit helps.

Thanks for reading.

Just got my four rf5's yesterday. Was in the same dilemma.I think thay are a little smoother than the rf3 and rf7. With money being a major factor you couldn't go wrong with the rf3. It wasn't an easy decision between the two even after several trips and several hours listening at the store.Hope this helps.

andy

Re buying them from an unauthorized dealer online... it's what your tolerance factor/risk assessment is for warranty repairs versus the money you might save. They won't be covered by the manufacturer warranty, but whoever you buy them from might offer to cover them themselves.

Well I get to go hear more tomorrow!

The place I am going to also has Paradigm Reference series so I am going to give them a chance too. Maybe they will make the Klipsch sound even better. Then again I might like them more...

I did decide against internet order on te speakers. The savings really isnt enuff to take the risk, Especially for the RF-3 II.

If anyone can sneak in a post before I make it down there I'm up for suggestions on music to take with me. I have a few rock cd's of my own but nothing really with womens vocals, horns or piano.

You can also add more comments on RF-5 vrs RF-3 II

I think you will be quite happy with the Rf3II's. I sure am 9.gif Music to take with you ? Alanis Morrisette / jagged little pill - track 13 - ffwd to 5:00 in - there is a solo that will blow you away with the dynamics of her voice. No instruments - just her amazing voice . WOW. Everytime I hear that at loud volumes, it sends shivers down my spine.3.gif

FMF,

At the store i work at we sell paradigm and klipsch. They are both very fine speakers. I just went with the rf5's myself and i compared them to studio 60's for months.

i think the rf5's sound more natural and clearer compared to the rf3's, the bigger drivers and bigger horn really make a difference.

the paradigms are also great, after i volume matched the paradigms with the klipsch i noticed that the klipsch have a more "direst sound" and the paradigms spread the sound out more, of course that is what makes klipsch, klipsch. with the paradigms you can hear a nasally sound from the midrange a the tweeter calls attention to itself throughout certain tracks.

remember with the rf5's 99 db sentivity rating ayou will have a lot more sound than the paradigm speakers, you really need a seperate amp to make the paradigm speakers have any bass.

as with demo cd's, bring what YOU listen to, if you dont have any cd's with female vocals in it, it must mean that you dont listen to that type of music. you should really demo cds that you are familiar with and will listen to. there are a lot of cds that wow people but very few people will listen to that music. but if you want to be wowed, ask your salesmen if he has a monster cable cd called "monster blues" track 5 is killer. also if you happen to have dave matthews band "busted stuff" (if you dont you SHOULD) listen to bartender or grey street.

if the rf5's sound like they have too much trebble and not enough bass/midrange, the speakers are not broken in, 99% of the time speakers are not broken in on the showroom floor because they are usually played about 30 min a week (esp expensive speakers since not many people buy them). paradigms break in fairly easily.

Whew, im tired now, way too much typing @ 12:30 am.

Good luck with your speaker quest.

Joe

(and if you happen to live around fort wayne, indiana swing by my store and i would be glad to show you the difference!!)