2A3 Question for kh

No Disc

Kelly,

You had previously mentioned a buddy of yours got some RCA 2A3 Single plates (Cunningham I assume?) What did he have to say about them? Are they worth the $$. Are they worth twice the price of a RCA 2A3 VT-95?

I have found I like the 2A3 Sovteks but prefer the RCA 2A3 Black plate for it's buttery smoothness, and a bit more bass extension over the Sovteks.

- tb

The response in a word is that he LOVES them. These are not the Cunningham 2A3 Monoplates but the Arcturus Monoplates, which seem to be a better deal; in other words, they do not quite have the "Cunningham" mystique which tends to equal $$ along with the quality sound.

Whether they sound the equal to the Cunningham Monoplates remains to be seen. Tad does have a nice pair of RCA JAN CRC VT95 Black Plates that were in the #1 position and easily the best tube I have heard to this date in the Wright Sound 3.5 amps. Although the Sovtek is a great workhorse and built like a rock, it just doesnt have the finesse and inner detailing of the RCA VT95 Black Plates, whose subtle nature and expressive qualities take these little 2A3 Monoblocks to another level. I have been a lover of this tube since I first heard it.

Tad says the vintage Monoplates are up another whole level which I need to hear. Tad is currently running the Tjoeb 99 with NOS valves, Wright WLA12a pre with NOS, Wright WPA3.5, into his 78 Cornwalls with Alnico and Type B oils. He has a pretty nice listening room althought the CW are too far apart in my view and a bit too far away. He really prefers low level listening which the Wrights do very well. When over there, I always have to fight the urge to turn it up so the sound fills the room more. Meanwhile, when he comes to my abode, with the CW 8 feet apart and about 9feet away, he feel the volume is on the HIGH side...heh.

One of the thing that does bother me a tad(sic) bit is the Wright Sound's running into Class A2 bias when the going get loud and tough. while this does give more output to drive harder loads, the switching and stress cant be great on the NOS RCA or vintage Monoplates. STill the Moondogs also run the tubes at around 300v or so which is the norm for most of the designs these days but higher than the old 250v rec.

I have yet to use up ANY of my 2A3 tubes in the last three years or so, however. I leave my amps on almost ALL the time as well, my Moondogs having been on for close to 2 months now without turn off.

On the vintage Monoplate subject, I think Tad paid about $350 or so. I'll have to ask again. I should be hearing them in the next few weeks.

kh