stacking banana plugs?

AUGIE

I was lookin into using banana plugs for the speaker wire connections to the back of my Sony reciever, since the wire connectors back there will accept them and make life a little easier. I saw that they sell banana plugs that will allow you to stack another set of speaker cables into the back of them. Say I was going to have people over and wanted to have music on in my Basement HT room on my SF 2s but also wanted to pump music to my frontroom's SB1s,can I double stack the front speaker connection to both sets of speakers? Or would this underpower my speakers and overwork my reciever? The reciver delivers 100 watts per channel, by 6 channels. The reciver has a 2nd room option but I would have to purchase another amp. Any ideas?

Most receivers have an A/B speaker switch or switches to control two sets of main channel speakers. If your receiver doesn't have another set of front speaker outputs then stacking the speaker wires using banana plugs does the same thing. This parallels the speakers for each channel reducing the impedance to 4 ohms (assuming both speakers are 8 ohm), which will increase the load to the amp. You won't want to turn it up real loud to protect the amp, but otherwise it works fine.

Great, thanks! It does have an A/B switch but then one or the other set of speakers wont work. And the music wouldn't be turned up loud more of background music that will carry through the down stairs and up stairs. Does anyoneknow of a inexpensive 2 channel amp that would work well with a Sony ST985 reciver? Just in case I go with the 2nd room option.

Augie - Does your Sony provide a volume control for the second room outputs? If not, you'll need at least an integrated amp or receiver or risk melting your guests eardrums with the, err, background music. You might want to pick up an inexpensive analog SS receiver from the 70's for that purpose. They can be had pretty cheap on Ebay yet offer good power and reasonable sonic quality.

DD

Thanks Dougdrake, The reciever doesn't have a second room volume control. Good thing you mentioned that! I'll probably just use my old Sony reciver, that should work well. By the way I ordered the Carol 12 gauge in-wall speaker wire for my surround speakers, will it be okay to use that 12 gauge on the long 70 foot runs to my outdoor speakers? Or should I use a smaller gauge for those runs? If it dosen't matter I'll change my order for the larger roll of 12 gauge. Thanks DD

I talked to a klipsch tech and he said that 12 gauge will be fine, which is great since I ordered the 500 ft roll. Hey, he suggested running my 2 ss.5s for the rear center since I wanted to upgrade my rear surrounds to ss1s and have been lookin for a suitable rear center. I'd have to split my 6th channel between them but it has 8ohms and 100 watts so ya think that will be okay if I wire them under 1 channel?

Augie - Best check your Sony manual, but I don't think you'll have a problem running the rear centers in parallel at 4ohms. There isn't that much demanding action in that channel.

It isn't the wattage specs of the amp that would determine its ability to handle lower impedance loads. I believe it is more the amperage/current.

If you are concerned, you could wire them in series, and raise the impedance...

DD