Tube Amp Suggestions for SS PreAmp ??

cornwaller

Yes I know this has been dicussed before; but I have the specifics on my system now and I'm finally ready to obsorb(print) all your knowlege.

Preamp--Yamaha cx-1000u dual outs @1.5v/47ohm

To: Tube Amps(2)????? this is where you guys come in....

2 Klipschorns, and 2 (and/or 4) Cornwalls

I have a Scott LK-72 that Craig is going to "make sing"

I would like to utilize the other pre-out for the Amp(s) in question.

Give it to me straight!

Cornwaller

Ummmm...are you hell bent on keeping that preamp?

I cant think of a bigger improvement in your system than letting the Yamaha go. The preamp is SO important in the chain of command and that Yamaha is seriously going to bring down whatever tube amp you hook to it. It's a tough thing to hear but the sad truth. Middle of the road solid state preamps do a number on the signal and have a lot to do with reducing the quality.

Have you considered other options? What exactly are you trying to do here?

kh

Kelly,

Although I agree with you regarding using a SS preamp with tubes that Yamaha is NOT a middle of the road preamp-It was Yamahas' top of the line in the late 80s early 90s and retailed back then for over $1200.00 dollars,quite the hefty price in its day.

I own the very same preamp in my system and its real sweet-dead quite,optical outs,and almost 30lbs!

Jeff

I know. I actually remember that ole beast. I think it was the most expensive preamp they ever offered was it not? The problem is, that most SS preamps will end up mucking the sound up, even ones that are VERY expensive, from companies that pride themselves and get pats on the back for their gear. I just have found the preamp is where the whole nine yards can take a dramatic turn downhill, faster than someone reaching for the volume knob after Track 12 of the Shepherd Kings (or faster than Yankee deleting 20 posts). This is why so many opted for passive preamps as it was the least harmful choice to many under $1k or so.

I actually think a tube preamp with a solid state amp does better than an ok solid state preamp with a top notch tube amp. Almost every solid state preamp I have auditioned has sounded somewhat lacking in air, harmonic richness, bloom, and transparency, most exhibiting a touch of metallic or mechanical sound. While this can be very subtle on some units, I still find it objectionable to the point where SS in the pre section (besides the phono) just is not tolerable. They all seem to be plagued with some hint of grain, even if VERY fine, it's there, riding along with the signal.

Hell...I am trying to think of the last good SS pre I have heard. I have liked a few solid state integrated amps somewhat. I have liked some SS phono stages that werent that bad. But besides home theater, I cant think of any that I would have kept. PErhaps the Yamaha is better than most, but I am including models from Krell, Martin Logan, Classe, Sumo, PS Audio. All have a somewhat SS character.

BUT..... that doenst mean you cant enjoy the music. Just that I was wondering if the Yamaha pre was a must. They sell for in the $250 range now like a good many preamps of that era. It's just a hard thing to get right, I find.

kh

Kelly,

I appreciate your analysis of the SS preamp dilema. Here is my two cents worth about the Yamaha. It was compared against Krell, Denon, Nad, Bryston to name a few. I have had the luxury to buy the best sounding (or in this case) the least sounding one. This preamp is a very well kept secret. It is smooth, no grain, nuetral, and natural. If you have $250 to experiment with, buy one and try it. I would be most interested to read your review.

As to the SS pre worse than the SS amp I don't know that I agree with that either. I look at it like this...As long as we are dealing with a digital signal (cd,dvd,sat.) and you have to go analog at some point, why not stay digital/ss untill the very last piece in the chain--the amp. It is at this point that the one and only DAC is used (the one in the Yam is SUPER!DUPER!) and the result is then left to some pride and joy analog tubes and horns.

Youre opinion?

Cornwaller