Line conditioner with tubes ?

Dale W

Was just thinking last night about what i need for extra cables etc etc , for my new two channel set up.

Two tube amps , tube pre-amp , one cd player.

Now the question here is, do i run a line conditioner. ?

I did notice on the back of my other two monstercable ht 3500's that there is a max amount of watts that can be drawn off this unit. My 380wpc rotel draws more than is recomended from the ht3500 so i have it pluged direct to the wall outlet.

Does the tube gear draw a lot of power ? And is it a good idea to protect the tubes from any line surge ?

We seem to have a lot of brown outs in our area and peak draw times ( 5:00 to 8:00 pm) drops my line down from 120 to

116 and even lower some nights.

What do you think guy's ?

I've had a bit of experience (SoundStage reviewer for 3+yrs, and shop owner for 2 yrs) with PLC and found the following:

1. Some improve sound, others degrade sound. The Tripp-Lite type tend to degrade the sound. I'd place the Monster in with that group.

2. I do not plug my tube power amps into any PLC --just straight into the wall with a good cord. However, IME, solid state amps tend improve when going into a good PLC --less grain and lower noise floor.

3. My t-port, DAC, and pre-amp, all go into the PLC.

4. Which ones do I recommend?

The Luxor (Custom Power Cord Company) blocks are excellent and affordable, the Shunyata is nice but major $$$$. Based on my expereince with it, the PS Audio unit isn't worth the $$$ (the Luxor unit absolutely smoked it for half the price). The Richard Grey unit seemed decent, but it worked better on HT than 2 channel components.

For those needing reviewer's approval, the Luxor stuff received numerous TAS Golden Ear Awards.

Finally, try before you buy.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike........have you had any experience with any Lightspeed conditioners? All I'm going to use if for is three components and an amp. I'll probably experiment a little with just plugging the source components in to the conditioner and going to the wall with my solid state amp. Thanks