Height of RB-5's

bacevedo

I have the RB-5 bookshelf speakers on top of my TV (Mitsubishi 60" RPTV and matching rack). This places them about 5 feet off of the floor. My Center channel (RC-3) is right between them. I know they are too close together for proper imaging (I am adding a shelf across the top of my TV nitch that will give them the proper distance between them), but what about the height? Is the height of them really hampering their performance?

Should I angle them down a bit (aiming at my listening position), or should I buy speaker stands (how high) and place them on each side of the TV?

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan - Greetings from a fellow Arizonan. Yes, you should probably aim the speakers down a bit. I've heard it said that you should be able to look down the throats of the horns from your usual listening/viewing position.

Alternately, you could put them on stands which might put them closer to ear level. I don't think it matters whether you tilt or put them on stands.

Ideally, the tweeters of all three front speakers should be in horizontal alignment, but I bet you could probably get away with 12-16" off of horizontal.

Doug,

Thanks for the info. The reason I like the speakers up with the center channel is that they are all on the same axis. The tweeters are maybe 6" off (because the RC-3 is horizontal). I am afraid if I put them on stands, the tweeters will be more like 24" off. Since the RC-3 will always be above my TV - and since it is 60+" tall, I don't think I will ever have the tweeters aligned unless they are all on the same shelf.

I assume then, that if I angle the bookshelfs, I should angle the center channel as well.

I will experiment this weekend and see what happens.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

Suggest you try putting speakers on stands so the tweeters are at seated ear height (~39") then angle the center down so that it points at your head - you should be looking right down the throat of the center speaker horn. This should yield better results. If possible, have the fronts of the RB-5's a bit forward of the front of the TV and have the center speaker right at the front of the TV. If your electronics allow, delay the center so that the arrival of its sound reaches you simultaneously with the arrival of the sound from the RB-5's which will be a bit further from you.

BobG,

Thanks for the reply - that's the kind of response I was looking for - someone from Klipsch to tell me that I should do what I have been planning to do. I actually am getting ready to order some speaker stands - and I wasn't sure how high the speaker should be - I came up with about 39" - the same as your suggestion - so now I know I am on the right track. I was also going to angle the center speaker down as well - because I think I am missing a lot of the sound (it is just going over my head).

The stands I was looking at were about 21" tall - so the tops of the speakers would be at about 38" - which would put the tweeters a little lower - will that be ok?

I have the Denon 3801 - which does have distance adjustment - so I will be able to set each speaker up correctly.

The reason I needed confirmation on this is I had to relocate my sub. I have a big entertainment niche - about 100" wide, 20" deep and about 8' tall. My TV (Mistubishi 60" RPTV) and matching AV rack - fit in their nicely. There is just enough room on each side to put either towers, or bookshelf speakers on stands. I had put the subwoofer next to the TV, but the sound there was quite boomy - and it just didn't sound right. Now, I moved the sub out, to my side wall next to the couch - it is out from the wall quite a bit, but the sound really cleaned up. It fills the room better, and has tighter bass - what I was looking for all along. I also had to change my speakers from small to large - to get back the mid-bass I was missing. It now sounds really nice and blended. Once I get the speaker stands and angle the center, I will be in audio heaven!

Thanks to everyone for the input.

My Equipment List

Mitsubishi 60" RPTV (V60603)

Denon AVR 3801 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SHVS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite

Klipsch RB5 Mains

Klipsch RC3 Center

Klipsch RCW3 In-Wall Surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 Sub

Monster Power Conditioner

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

I am going to order some speaker stands now - after playing with the setup, the sound has improved quite a bit.

How high should the speaker stands be? Most are about 21" - which would put the tops of the speaker at about 38" - the middle of the tweeter would be at about 34" - is that ok? Or should I go for a higher stand - like 24"?

Thanks,

Bryan