KLF-10 vs. RF3....Advice please

gtDark

I just wanted to ask your guys wise opinions on a bit of a decision I will have to make. Im fairly new to quality home audio stuff, and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice about whether I should get a pair of the older KLF-10 floorstanders for $600 or the new RF3IIs for $850, and why.

I went to Tweeter/HiFi Buys today looking to hear the RF3s because up until now, those were the speakers I was definitely going to purchase. I listened to them and was very impressed to say the least; the imaging was astounding. Nevertheless, in another room, there were the KLF-10s. They werent as aesthetically attractive as the RF3s, but the lower price and the 10 woofers caught me (I had never seen them before (I do all my research really on the internet) and the price/info tag on them only said the frequency response range, no sensitivity or power handling, so if you know any specs on it please inform me of them). I gave them a listen as well, and enjoyed them too. I thought the highs were a bit smoother and the woofers didnt sound as smashy as the RF3s when the volume was higher, but I still really really liked the RF3s despite that. See the main problem is, like I said earlier, Im still pretty naïve about home audio, and my unsophisticated ear might not hear/notice now what it will later. Therefore, Im asking you guys with more discerning ears which is better.

If you were in my position (that is: 1) Am definitely still gonna buy a subwoofer (but not center channel and surrounds for a while), and 2) limited budget: the $250 extra I would have leftover if I got the KLFs over the RF3s would be just that much more money I could put towards a better receiver or sub) what would you do and why ?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

P.S. I would mostly use the speakers for music; I like mainly rock and some heavier bass dance type electronic music. I would also be watching movies on it a lot, but that is less important to me than music.

Since these are so close in price, you really just have to go with your own ears. Some prefer what is reputed to be a more "lively" sound of the KLFs. You're gonna have to go this one on your own, I think.

Keep in mind that the Legends are discontinued, which only means you may have to look a little harder to find the matching center channel (KLF-C7) as that has been disco'd, too.

Here's the specs:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=21

Good luck!

DD

gtDark... the specs of the KLF-10 are as close as the main Klipsch page leading to this Forum! Look up the products in the upper left hand corner. Check under home audio... classics... and then look for the KLF-10. Click on it and it will bring you to a page that has the term SPECIFICATIONS on the left side. Click on it and you will have a all the KLF-10 specs available on this site. By the way, another KLF-10 modified to sit horizontally makes a great center speaker. Quite a few folks on this Forum have tried it and everyone has produced a rave review. In fact, I have a horizontalized KLF-30 as a front center in an all KLF-30 6.1 HT system.

Making the conversion is easier than you might think. I have posted the details and they should be available with a search under "HornEd" with "KLF-30 center" as the search criteria. You may have to go back a year or so in the search. Good luck. =HornEd

If you're patient you may be able to find the RF's much cheaper. I'm not suggesting EBAY, but maybe keep an eye out here or other HT websites.

I recently found a pair of the RF-3II's(absolute mint condition) for $475. Sure I had to drive 150 miles but well worth it.

gtdark : The matching center is probably not available new for the klf - 10's. IMO I would purchase the rf3II's and the rc3II and hold off on the subwoofer for now. The rf3II's have decent low frequency output ( down to 30 hz in my room ) and a good matching center will do wonders for movies. Let your ears and your wallet decide what you will be happy with. Go down and listen to a movie with the klf's in stereo, then the rf3II's in stereo and then the rf3II's with the rc3II center with no rear surrounds. Then you can make a better decision.

I thought, gtDark that you might like to see the front array of a 6.1 Legend system... only these are KLF-30's in a 6.1 configuration... thus the rear array consists of three more KLF-30's. Before I bought the KLF-30's I used three KLF-10's for the rear array. They performed well... but there is no substitute for six identically timbre matched speakers... unless it is seven identically timbre matched speakers! Please note the center main atop the 65" Mitsubishi. Note that the motorboard has been replaced with a home built one that centers the horns and balances the woofers. =HornEd

post-6114-13819246130498_thumb.jpg

Before I purchased my RF-3s 9.gif , I also gave the KLF-10s a listen. Some people absolutely love the KLFs, especially for rock. First song I tried on them was a rock song, and it sounded great. No quite as smooth in the treble as the RFs though. Later I tried a classical peice and compared rf-3s to KLF-10s. In my opinion it was really no contest. RF-3s took the show. Thats how I heard it, but if the KLF-10s make you happy, knock yourself out. Just lets your ears decide. And test them with a wide variety of music.

Also one more thing to consider is that the KLF-10s are NOT shielded. So they cannot be placed within a few feet from a TV. Good Luck!

----------------

On 1/14/2003 6:47:00 AM Stephen328 wrote:

Also one more thing to consider is that the KLF-10s are NOT shielded. So they cannot be placed within a few feet from a TV. Good Luck!
----------------

Depending on the TV, of course 1.gif . Some people can place their non-shielded speakers right against the TV cabinet without an issue. My Chorus, with a 15" woofer, are about a foot from my RPTV with no ill effects.

DD

To TwoWatt and everyone else for that matter, what are some good HT websites out there? Are any of them Klipsch authorized dealers?

Thanks for all the responses guys. Ive concluded (like it was any kind of real conclusion 9.gif ) to go to Tweeter again and give both the speakers another listen. It seems like that was the general consensus of what you guys suggested: they are pretty similar comparing the specs (I just found that page myself not long after I posted, sorry about that), so its probably personal preference more than anything else that should be the deciding factor. This time though Im gonna bring a couple of cds that are typical to the genres of music I listen to and just sit back and see how each speaker strikes me.

You know for some reason the fact escaped my mind that I would have to acquire more of the Legend line to fill out my HT with surrounds and center a little bit farther down the road. Since this line of speakers is discontinued, do you think I would have any trouble finding complimenting speakers to complete the HT?

Man, still though a real dilemma for me. In order to get the KLF-10s, I have to get them relatively soon because there is a really limited supply. On the other hand, Im inclined to wait a while because with the introduction of those new floorstanding models (http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?path=/newscenter/press.asp?frame=y&id=&line=&1), the price of the RF3s might drop in the near future. What do you guys think about that happening?

Thanks for all the responses,

Matt

http://klipsch.youaremyfriend.com