Under-powering?

NIque

ni, which receiver/specs are u using w/ em?

i have a sony w/ 110W per but not a very high current(amperage) unit. still plenty loud w/ my klf-30 but i know the bass could be fuller

w/ a better unit. if u have to turn the volume up to above clipping level (usually more than half or 3/4 & with audible amp clipping/distortion) then u could damage the speaks. but if they're loud enough for you without doing this u should be fine imo.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Every amp clips when the musical waveform exceeds the amp's capacity, so it "clips" off the peak and sends a nasty flat-topped wave to your speaker. This is certain to cause damage after a short while.

A speaker cannot be damaged by too little power as long as YOU don't turn the volume knob too high and cause clipping. If you do, poof goes your tweeters. That said, most speakers are damaged by small amps that are driven into clipping. 125 wpc in NOT a small amp; you have MORE than enough power for sane home use.

John

it varies by make & model but the general rule of thumb is 1-2 o'clock on your volume dial. i never turn mine past noon since that's more than loud enough for me anyway.

any clipping should be audible through your speakers. but please remember these are my general opinions - i'm not an expert audio tech nor do i play 1 on tv biggrin.gif

No need to pay attention to your volume dial, just listen. When you start to hear distortion, especially in the higher frequencies you know your amp has reached it's operating limits. As long as your not at or above this limit for an extended time you shouldn't have any problem. Remember that all C.D.s are recorded at different levels and quality, therefore turning your volume dial to one or two and hearing no distortion on a particular C.D. will have no bearing on the maximum volume setting for your next C.D. you play. So unless you like listening to distorted music you should never have a problem with frying your speakers.