Front Wides

chuckears

Picked up some Oiled Walnut Chorus IIs last week to replace my series-1 Fortes as the mains in the front soundstage of my modest living room HT - which doubles as my 2-channel music listening system.

I slid the Fortes to the side to put the Chorus's in place - heavy suckers - and happened to think "Hmmm... front wides maybe?"  I had not yet decided what exactly to do with the Fortes... I've grown pretty attached to them, having bought them new in 1988.

Acquired some wire and plugs, and pulled out a spare 2-channel amp that matches my existing units - ran ARC this morning, and auditioned a few Atmos sources, and Wow. The soundstage is huge, gaps are filled in, and I will now be going back through a lot of titles and enjoying the expanded experience.  The funny thing is that an internet search reveals a lot of "Meh" opinions about the role of the Front Wides, and a lot of people claiming it's hit-and-miss, not utilized by a lot of sound engineers, and is a flop.  With every source I've played so far, I've noticed the difference.

IMG_6820 (Large).JPG

IMG_6813 (Large).JPG

IMG_6836 (Large).JPG

• Like 1