Audio Repairs (Speakers and RCAs!)

Peter P.

Today was an audio repair day for me.

At work, I was servicing an intercom system for a police department. With the system, they are able to listen to the people in the cellblock, and talk back to them if necessary.

The system uses a ceiling mounted speaker as both speaker AND mic. In this case, the mic/speaker was an 8" driver.

After many hours of troubleshooting the electronics of a system I know little about,  my colleague and I discovered the reason the dispatchers could not transmit to the cellblock was because the speaker failed as a mic, yet it worked fine for receiving audio!

We replaced the 8" driver with what we had on hand, a 4" driver, and it worked wonders.

So I go home tonight and decide to put on a new CD for a first listen, and I'm getting hum through the speakers. Huh? I had just reinstalled my stereo after having new carpet installed so of course everything was unplugged, moved, then plugged in again.

After much troubleshooting and substitution, I found the culprit- the shield on one of the RCA cables had a broken shield connection, barely visible even with a magnifying glass!

I'm gonna try to solder it together.

If you look REAL closely, you can see the shield wire and the gap to the connector.

RCA - 1.jpeg

• Like 3