EICO HF-81

PHIL O

The HF81's do indeed come up on eBAY all the time... I got mine there. But, might I suggest that you give some thought to:

PLAN B. Look for EICO HF12's on eBAY. This was EICO's mono EL84pp integrated amp, and AFAIK the circuitry is similar or identical to 1/2 of an HF81 (e.g., the HF81 uses TWO EZ81 miniature rectifiers). The OPT's are the same. Now, here's the clever part... if no one's auctioning a pair of HF12's, buy ONE HF12 (or HF12A, which differs only cosmetically)! Then wait 'til another decent one comes up and THEN BUY the second one. With (some) mono amps and (most) speaker drivers, sellers get a premium for a stereo pair. For those who can suppress the need for instant gratification, money can be saved. I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick up a pair of healthy HF12's for about $120 before shipping... I doubt you'll find a healthy HF81 for that. Plus you have two separate power supplies; true "monoblocks" (yeah, I know, two power transformers to short out, too).

In fairness, the issue of "matching" two pieces of equipment for well-balanced stereo has to be considered when buying piecemeal, but I've been fairly lucky so far with speakers.

Plans B prime and B double-prime: look for 2 x EICO HF14 (mono power amp) or 1 x HF86 (stereo power amp).

Four different ways to get "an HF-81"!