Very rare early Klipsch k-55 midrange driver - $100 plus shipping

BeFuddledinMn

I have a very rare, working k-55 midrange driver for sale. These were used on some models in the last 50’s, and very early 60’s I believe. I’ve never paid much attention to this, so someone on this forum may have a lot if additional perspective and information. Faint identification on this one as a k-55, other rare examples of this are also labeled as Klipsch k-55. 

Update: Apparently this driver was an OEM University build as a transitional model using the basic design elements of the SAHF, and built specifically for Klipsch prior to the now familiar atlas k55 that quickly followed it. An interesting piece of Klipsch history. 

DCR: 12.5

Thank you. 

1DCDB39C-66EE-4387-B226-8B13E17E714A.jpeg

89F24609-9917-4B67-9DAF-D88E40ED4D35.jpeg

CDCDF533-C356-4952-81B7-9369993D6900.jpeg

• Like 1

Let me provide more help on this. That is probably true for the atlas k-55, but this is a University transition k-55 used in the last 1950’s, following the University SAHF driver, but before the now familiar Atlas k-55 v drivers from the early 60’s on. I am unsure though on how many or which Klipsch models featured them and for how long. 

the  Mid-Range  Driver  in this thread   is an OEM  version of the University MA-25 built exclusively for klipsch  as used in the Shorthorn  3 Way Ortho -12   and the H series with the K-1000 horn .

http://images.klipsch.com/Brochure_560100_SH_635164773212272000.pdf

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/University/1957-6.jpg

1 X UNIVERSITY DRIVER UNIT MA-25. NOS/NIB. 25W / 16 ohm - Imagen 1 de 1

And here is another of the traditional University midrange driver’s that most of us are familiar with:

This is the SAHF 30 watt midrange driver used for several years on the 1950’s Klipschorns. This example is one of mine, from one of my 1950’s Klipschorns. Note the typical University screw wire pins, the L1 and L2 pin designations and the same Allen head pins used for diaphragm access.

On other Klipsch models, variations, like the MA-25, with the same shape and style we’re used. Of course the University driver I’m selling isn’t either of these University models. 

I would have to believe that the Klipsch museum must have one or two of these mounted in their original speakers. Anyone?

325552B8-BCA9-45B2-9DFA-EAA7E8809AC0.jpeg

2141F5CA-DD0C-45CC-9835-CEBA0D3A1F8D.jpeg

E3D866BD-AD89-428B-9648-D70ADE06D0CE.jpeg

Great pic of the rare driver in a speaker and very helpful  Looks like a ‘59-‘60 heresy. Can’t read any designation on it, but it is clearly an example of what I’m selling and clearly a different midrange driver than the earlier SAHF or MA-25. All from University I believe. Horn looks like the first Heresey , and Cornwall, and looking back, I believe I was given reference to the first Cornwalls before they came up with the k-600 and atlas k-55. 

• Thanks 1

After close inspection of the installed driver pictured, it does appear to have been labeled as a K 55. I’ve also noticed that this rare driver’s diameter is bigger and the throat casting of the rare K 55 is clearly different from the MA-25 and much closer to the SAHF, but likely intended to replace both. This driver is a University build, albeit likely a test or transitional model using the basic design elements of the SAHF, and built specifically for Klipsch prior to the atlas k55 that followed it. Unfortunately, I cannot find any additional information.

• 1 month later...