Rear sub ?

duckloads

I am enjoying my new (used) klipsch speaker system, and I have a question. I am thinking about connecting a subwoofer with back surround speakers. I have a spare powered sub that is not particularly good quality, but instead of selling it at this time, I thought I would play around with it for a while.

Last night I was fooling around with my receiver (cheapish Pioneer), and I saw on the specs that its output frequency range is from 40-20K Hz on all channels. Now my sub's (ksw-12) range is from around 25-100 Hz. If I'm doing the math correctly, I am missing out on 15 Hz of the 75 Hz range of my subwoofer that my receiver does not reproduce. Is this right? Things to worry about.

Is it bad form to run wires from the surround outputs on my receiver to the inputs on the sub then wire from the sub to the surround speakers?

Thanks again,

Chris H.

You're not missing anything. Because it's cheap, the Pioneer is only rated down to 40 Hz. It will go deeper, but cannot produce full power below that or the distortion goes above the chosen rating, or both. The sub will have output below 25 Hz, too. It won't be loud and is likely to have higher distortion, but it's there.

Running the speaker wires to the sub first is an acceptable way of putting it into the circuit.