Updating Crossovers / Matching Crossovers

Istari

Godd evening!!

Been wanting to post this question for a couple of months and am now finally getting around to it tonight.

I own a pair of '79 KBWOs Khorns that were supposed to have been upgraded in '92.

They have the K-55M, what looks like a K-77M (doesn't have any Klipsch nomenclature on it though) woofer looks original, and it has a AK-2 crossover.

I also have a '79 Bell WO that has the same drivers as listed above but has an AB crossover.

I would like to upgrade the set and will use the trio for the front of a home theater. I have access to a set of AK-3 crossovers for the K-horns and am wondering what X-over I should get for the Belle.

Will be using either a set of Cornwalls (81's, cabinets in very bad shape and need a rebuild) or Herseys (79's) for side/surrounds.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Will have a few spare drivers up for grabs soon, have mentioned it before to the BB's and will offer them here first.

Jim

I'd like to have a shot at any K-55-V drivers you have.

Your K-horns were in fact upgraded. '79s did not have those components. The AK-3 is supposed to be a very good crossover, but I haven't heard it. You will want to get rid of the Belle's AB crossover. With a Type AB, I assume the Belle was upgraded to the black K-55-M squawker, too. There should be an analogous Belle crossover, probably AB-3. However, I'm sure there is an AB-2 that should readily complement your AK-2s. That might be a cheaper, yet equally suitable solution. For surrounds you will need them to be tall enough to "see" over your furniture (this was the problem I had with La Scala rears). The Heresies on shelves sound like the better proposition. The Heresies could be "upgraded" with a K-55-M squawker, but I doubt if it would be worth the cost.

John,

I'll list what extra drivers I have and let you have first pick.

The upgrade to the AK-3 won't cost me anything since I'll swap them out before I sell my KCBRs to my brother-in-law! Just wanted to get a matching X-over for the Belle.

Well, Mr. Hobbit, I liked one so much I bought another.

One was just enough for movies and normal listening. Two will keep pace with my La Scalas to as loud as I can stand. They can easily be adjusted so that you cannot tell a subwoofer is in the system (until there is a deep pedal or synthesizer note). They blend well with the La Scala's horn-loaded bass. The distortion levels are quite low. The only powered sub I've heard that could compete was Klipsch's RSW-15, but I *think* it had higher distortion.

Another plus is the cabinets have been redesigned and are lots more attractive now.