Rear Channel Speakers

Sgt. Johnson

I have a Pair of LaScallas ( I have owned them since 1980!) in a nice Home theater system. I use a pair of Klipsch KSB 2.1's for surround. Problem is, I cant hear them over the LaScallas (I know everything is hooked properly, I can hear the speakers if I am right on top of them)

The question on the floor then, is: what should I replace these surround speakers with? Hereseys? Fortes? Chorus'? Any Suggestions? Thanks Sgt. Johnson

Heritage speakers are voiced differently than other speakers... since they were originally designed by PWK to have a closer timbre match to his might Klipschorn. Thus, by all means, the better Heritage speaker you sellect for surrounds, the better result you will have... all the way up to my hero, Q-Man, whose rig has Klipschorn (or better) front and back and uses a herd of LaScalas for front and rear effects duties.

The other issue is that it would seem that you are NOT using a set-up disk and SPL meter (like the ever popular Radio Shack analog one that costs about $50)... for if you would, you would more likely to hear your surround speakers! It is physically impossible for human ears to set up a multichannel system with precision... thus, anyone who does not use an SPL meter to balance multiple speakers has no-chance other than dumb luck to get the most out of his speaker arrays. =HornEd

Heresy's or Cornwall's or more LaScalas would work. I have never heard the KSB series so don't know how they sound or how efficient they are compared to the LaScalas.

Before you replace anything, get your system balanced. You should be able to change the level of the rears relative to the mains. Most HT receivers have a test tone that cycles through all the channels so you can set them all the same. You can do it by ear, but an SPL meter (radio shack) is beter. If there is not enough range to bring up the rear level, you may need to put an attenuater (L pad again radio shack)in the wires going to the mains.

The LaScalas are real efficient at 104 dB/W/M. The Synergy series speakers I used for rears with my LaScalas were only 94-96 dB/W/M. My Yamaha has a menu item to reduce the main output by 10 dB, (they must have had Klipsch speakers in mind when they put that in!) which I had to use to get everything balanced.

yeah sarge, go buy a 30 rat shack meter (analog spl meter) i too have a mixed system, but before i listened to 1 note i balanced them for everything delay is important as well, as i turned on my system everything was there, just like it was supposed to be, there is a difference in voice between the heritage, and reference, but not a distastefull difference, i use my corns as a 2 channel set up for music, but for ht, i use everything, and it is beautiful, you can do it too12.gif