forte II torn passive

markografx

I'm a little surprise they didn't offer more help in view of the circumstances.

Call 1-800-KLIPSCH and ask for Trey Cannon. He is very good. I recall that passive or "drone" radiators have their own specific Fs which is going to be necessary to match. That is based on its mass and compliance. There should also be a mechanical Q which might not be quite as difficult to match, but that is a guess.

Essentially, the drone is a bass speaker with no magnet or voice coil. It might be that a shop which does reconeing can find a replacement diaphragm.

I looked at Parts Express. They have some Peerless drones, but no 15 inchers.

It may be possible to patch the one you have. Or a repair shop might do it for you.

But first, talk to Trey. Let us all know what he says.

Gil

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines as Tom B.

Some years ago, make that decades ago, I patched a woofer using Duco cement and some tissue.

It makes sense to me to use some reinforcement on both sides of the diaphragm. So you should take it out of the box to allow work on both sides.

I'd use some sort of lightweight cloth, like silk or rayon. Also, I'd start with the classic liquid super glue (liquid, rather than paste type). It should penetrate well and then take a little while to solidify. Make sure the superglue doesn't disolve the fabric, first, on a test piece.

It take a bit of care to smooth down the material in place while the glue sets up. You'll have to be careful to not get your finger stuck. Using the rounded end of a paper clip might help as a tool.

As you can appreciate, the tear is creating an air leak which defeats the function of the sealed bass box. When you put it back together, you can test. Push the front woofer inwards, gently. The back passive should move outwards.

If the tear extends to the rim and the "surround" this sort of patch may be more difficult, or impossible.

Gil