Did you watch the Super Bowl on your HT? any in HD?

kjohnsonhp

Not sure how many HT buffs actually have HDTV--I maybe wrong but I thought I read that only about 10% of the HD-Ready display owners actually had HDTV tuners (a trend that probably will start to change in 2003). I certainly didn't fork over the extra $800 or so to get an HDTV tuner--I bought my RPTV soley for watching DVD's and for future HDTV capability.

I bought my RPTV in October and tonight was the first time I actually watched a complete show that was available in HDTV. I didn't miss not having an HDTV tuner until tonight. Since D/FW doesn't have HDTV Cable and I don't have an HDTV tuner I had to watch the SuperBowl in regular mode. The stretech and fuzzy picture on my new Mitsu WS55819 was unacceptable so I switched to my old 50" analog Pioneer full screen in another room and enjoyed the standard quality I've been acustomed with for years--notably better than the HD-Ready display but certainly not the awesome detail of HDTV my new Mitsu could have produced had I owned a tuner.

Once ESPN goes HDTV this spring I'll probably be motivated to dump my dinosaur AT&T Digital Cable and get HDTV DirecTV. I just couldn't justify the extra $600 for a STB just to watch one game...especially one that was over at the end of the first half.

I look forward to more of my limited TV viewing to be available in HDTV in 2003. By not watching the Network prime time line-up and HBO my HDTV choices are pretty limited but with ESPN making the switch I can watch SportsCenter nightly and then be tempted to get HBO and watch movies in better than DVD quality...I'll then only have to wait about another year to complete the solution with an integrated HDTV TiVO box to time shift that content--the only way I'll really watch movies on HBO--no way I'll be able to make my schedule fit theirs, and I don't like watching just sections of movies. Sports, however, I don't mind jumping into games in middle.

HDTV hasn't crossed the chasm but maybe the solutions/prices to facilitate that move will happen in 2003.

saw it ih HD on my tv as mine is an intergrated tv, the feed was great, all the movie previews were in HD also, as was the espn hd preview, can't wait for more hd as time goes by, for all those out there questioning hd don't it is the next best thing for video since sliced bread. can't wait for hd-dvd to come out!!!

ABC CH.26 IN NEW ORLEANS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't even broadcast in STEREO!!

erected a 'monument to the lightning gods' sunday a.m. in an attempt to receive the digital feed from Baton Rouge...to no avail-except for releiving my wallet of $300. 40ft.pole w/a 13.5 ft. antenna and pre-amp!

tried my local antenna analog signal,not acceptable, local cable feed,not acceptable.

finally 'sold' my satellite receiver to someone at my superbowl party who has networks w/ABC via satellite and had his programming activated...got ABC via satellite,BUT STILL NO H.D.!!

DARN!! and it would look SoooSweet on my 16x9 hd compatible sony projector :(

avman.

Saw it in HD via the Dish 6000 reciever. All I can say is that football in HD is awesome. I have been watching all of the games on Fox and ABC in HD W I D E S C R E E N format this season. After you get used to watching in HD you don't even want to watch regular tv anymore.

EJ1.gif

I'm very interested in sports in HD. I guess there are various levels of performance as HDTV emerges. I read that the Superbowl started with some audio sync problems and some cameras weren't HD--the one on the broadcasters and the skycam. I guess the HD was also 720 vs 1080 and not as good as the playoff games last week...getting this all second hand.

Weren't some of the games during the regular season broadcast in HD but not using HD cameras so there wasn't a wide screen format.

It just highlights that there are still issues to be worked out but when the technology is in full blossom -- 1080 widescreen & w/surround sound it is awesome.

This spring might prove to be the time I'll think about getting DirecTV or DISH for HDTV. If the DISH 921 w/PVR comes out then I'd jump on that.

I watched it on my Sony 57" widescreen HD ready RPTV. Comcast cable in Nashville area has HDTV on some of their digital cable boxes. I was one of the first three in Murfreesboro to get it. It is broadcasting two HBO's, one Showtime, ABC, and CBS in HD. It also has other channels with 5.1 sound. Since getting HD cable my DVD player is put to shame. I now want to get a progressive DVD player! It never ends.....

Oh about the game..it was great to see on HD with 5.1 sound. My wife had me turn it down on a few commercial breaks. HD is the way to go!

yes I watched it in glorious HD.

----------------

On 1/27/2003 2:22:03 PM erikjohn wrote:

Saw it in HD via the Dish 6000 reciever. All I can say is that football in HD is awesome. I have been watching all of the games on Fox and ABC in HD W I D E S C R E E N format this season. After you get used to watching in HD you don't even want to watch regular tv anymore.

EJ
1.gif

----------------

By the way FOX does not do HD.

1.gif

Mits owners on the Spot were complaining about dropouts during this broadcast. I wonder if it's an old Mits problem people have complained about in the past on other programs or did owners of other brands of sets have the same experience during the Super Bowl?

Fox does not broadcast any HDTV, but most Fox filmed episodic shows are available in 16:9 480p EDTV, aka Fox Widescreen. Programs include The Bernie Mack Show, Boston Public and 24. They look quite good, comparable to progressive scan DVD, but again, they are not HDTV. Fox does produce some of their programs in HDTV, but at this time they will only be aired in the Fox Widescreen format. In 2003, Fox Sports will offer NASCAR in the Fox Widescreen format, begining with The Daytona 500 on 2/16/03. A Fox executive is quoted as saying "the network is committed to scheduling more Fox Widescreen productions", which could mean Major League Baseball. For these live broadcasts, Fox acquires the images with 480i 16:9 cameras and transmits the program digitally to its local affiliates where its upconverted to 480p (or greater). At it's best, this format is a definite improvement over NTSC, but to this point image consistency has been an issue, at both the local & national level.

I watched it in HD and 5.1 surround sound!! HD is pretty much all I watch anymore. DVD's look weak compared to HD. Fox Widescreen is JUNK. I watched the SB last year, and it wasn't even close to this year's presentation. I think the occasional audio dropouts were universal, not just for Mits owners.