Help a dummy with some info

arthurs

Could someone give me a simple, layman's explanation for the following and reccomend settings?

Crossover

High Pass

Low Pass

Peak Limiter

LFE Level

My system is as follows:

B&K 7250

B&K Ref30

RF-7 fronts

RC-7

RSW-15

RB5II surrounds

MonsterPower 2600

Samsung 43" DLP

Theater is in a good size and acoustically solid room.

I like pronounced bass delivery in both movies and music, and am wondering how the settings of any of the above affect my sound.

Thanks for any help

My feeble attempt:

Crossover - a) a thingy that separates an audio signal into various frequency ranges and sends those ranges to certain speakers best designed to reproduce that range, B) the point you establish at which any frequencies above/below that point are directed to a certain output or speaker.

High Pass - A filter which passes anything above a specified frequency and blocks anything below that frequency.

Low Pass - Converse of above.

Crossovers/high pass/low pass are not "brick walls." They have a slope which determines how quickly they filter out frequencies near their filter point, referred to as 1st order, 2nd order, and so forth with each "order" representing 6 db of decay. I mention this so you are aware that setting a crossover to, say, 80hz means the speaker will still get some frequencies above/below that figure and how much of that spillover you hear is determined by the "order" of the filter.

Not being familiar with the B&K, nor owning any of the above speakers, I'll pass on the impact of all this in your system.

DD