to AL KLAPPENBERGER

mopar dave

hi AL, i would like to change out the inductors in my cornwalls. can you tell me why you use solen? is there an audible difference between solen and other brands? i'm looking at purchacing a pair of 14gage alpha-core inductors. there $10 less than a pair of solen. there the same air core design as the solens. thanks dave1.gif

Dave,

The alpha-core spiral inductors are ok for the woofer inductor. I find it hard to beleive they are less expensive than the Solen inductors. Some middle man is taking a big cut! The big improvement is getting rid of the non-linear iron core. Any air-core inductor is ok as long as it is AWG #14 or larger (#12 is better).

Al K.

Hi Al,

I have to thank you for the help with your ALK x-overs. I'm almost done them, just waiting for the transformers and the Hovland music caps to arrive.

I must comment on Solen, they were lightning fast to ship. I've heard comments that they were slow, must be x-ing the U.S. boarder that slows the shipping. Got my stuff in three days.

Sean

Sean,

I am surprised you got the stuff from Solen that quick. I wait several weeks for the stuff I order! One thing I have found though, UPS is a lot fater then postal air-mail. It took over a month to get one shipment from them using air-mail. The trade off for me is customs costs. Using air-mail it's all taken care of. With UPS I get a seperate bill from a "customes broker". This is becasue of the quantity I order at one time. I don't think parts for one set of networks gets into that mess.

Al K.

Al,

I am in Toronto, so Montreal is quite close. I ordered twice from Solen, and both times, three days... So I wouldn't blame them. It's gotta be U.S. customs that delays the deliveries.

Can't blame them though, could be parts for a bomb or something...

yes AL, i just ordered two 14gage alpha-core inductors for $17.93ea from parts express. my cornwalls/B network and solen caps requires 2.4mh inductor. the closest alpha-core was a 2.50mh/.36dcr. is this ok? also is there an audible difference between 12 & 14gage? thanks again dave1.gif

Dave,

The larger wire simply reduces the DRr. The difference will probably not be audable, but it can't hurt. Remember that its DCr is in sereis with the DCr of the woofer voice coil that is a lot higher. The big difference is getting rid of the iron core. Iron core indctors actually change inductance dynamically and instantaniously along with the current waveform through them. The spiral inductors really have no advantage over any other kind of inductor except distributed capapcity between turn. Each "layer" (turn) is nearly in phase with the one above and below it causing the capacity to be distrupted. That is to say, there is virtually no voltage across the capacity that's there. This is not important at audio frequency. At high audio frequency (6000 Hz or so), Litz wire actually gives btter performance becasue of reduced loss. So, spiral inductors are ok, but don't spend extra money for them, especially at high frequency. If you use them, it should be for the woofer inductor only.

Al K.