WTB Looking for a DBX BX-1 !!!!!

wildchild

11 hours ago, Coytee said:

You might be looking for a unicorn.

I used to have a BX-1.  Mated it with a McIntosh 2102 and biamped.  Monster of an amp (bx1).

I loved that it could be configured between 2,3,4 channels.  I also have a Bx3 and used it to biamp system when I was in Florida.

I however, sold my Bx-1 because of (what I understood was either at hand or coming down the pike) unobtainum of parts.  Swapped out for some Crown K2's.  Sonically, I don't notice any difference (I won't say there isn't any to be open to those who do hear differences) but it ended up buying me a K2 AND put some cash in my pocket.  Today, I have three K2's in the system.  I have the Bx3 in the closet as I think I've deduced it needs a service call.  I had/have it plumbed into my rear LaScalas and had tons of distortion out of one of them (wasn't speaker) so pulled plug until I put in time to figure out where to send it for service.

Always liked dbx stuff.

Bx1 is sitting under the 2102.  

Good luck in your search but please do NOT call me to help lug it up a flight of stairs.  I about died when I carried mine both up then down the stairs.  Glad it has handles!!!

3.JPG

13 hours ago, wildchild said:

Are you sure you're not thinking about the Asian built bx2 or bx3! The bx1 was built in Newton mass. Just before DBX sold out. I also own a BX3 and it's  hot mess compared to the bx1. 

Oh trust me I know about the weight. Good news is the bx1 is 30lb lighter than my Sansui Ba5000s. I was bi amping with the 5000s but the left one started dropping out. Got something loose as a tap on the case usually brings it back.

Now if you wanna talk about heavy. 

Holy crap !! Just one BA5000 clocks in around 115lb. The DBX is a light weight, in comparison, at only 85lbs That's why I have 3 dollies around the house.

I ran two DBX BX-1's at one point one in 4-channel mode and the other in 3-channel mode.  Fabulous amps that can essentially be run into a dead short.  No the BGW amp is not the same not even close.  I have service manuals and schematics for it but good luck finding someone to service it or find parts.  The remnants of the DBC company that moved to CA with Gene Raymond the Lead Engineer was sold off to The Sound Room in Berkely. CA then they turned around and sold what was left to Musician's Service Center.  That was a number of years ago though.  Perhaps the only reason that I sold them and purchased a Sherbourn 7/2100A 7 Channel True Mono Block amp to replace the duo.  Good luck in your quest.

HTGear.JPG

• Like 2