RP3 hookup - Help!

jwenthold

I just bought a pair of RP3 Speakers, they are the floor from an authorized dealer. I am trying to figure out the best way to hook them up, and when I connect the subwoofer section using the Line AND the LFE, there is an audible hum from the subwoofer. If I use only the line input, the sound is GREAT, but I don't get the .1 for movies, if I use only the LFE, the bass gets muddy becuase I use an older Yamaha reciever that I use with an external decoder. It takes low frequencies below 200hz, and autimatically kicks them out through the sub pre-out!

Please Help

Hey jw. Welcome to the Klipsch BB.

Without knowing the specifics about your receiver I'll just say try leaving the shiny jumper straps in place on the rear of your RP's and feed them a full range signal via speaker level (high level). Run a sub cable from your receiver/processor's sub output to your LFE inputs on the rear of the RP's and set the sub output in the receiver/processor bass management to 'LFE only". You will get LFE output only from the sub output on your receiver/processor. Adjust bass and LFE gain to taste.

Keith

Thanks for the Tip.

I think I got it figured out, my reciever doesn't have a very advanced LFE management system, so I think I am just going to have to hook up the LFE manually for DVD's until I get a new reciever 1.gif

I will just use the line in from the pre-outs on my reciever, this sounds absolutely incredible for music!

thanks again,

josh

Regarding the audible hum Josh, do you have the 3/2 adapters to 'float the ground'? If not you can buy them at Home Depot, or alomost anywhere, for less than a dollar. Try those and see if they eliminate the hummmm.

Keith

My RP3's do the same thing when using LFE AND Line level inputs. I have a Sony DA5ES Rcvr and thought it was the problem. As far as I know, I can't choose LFE only for DD 5.1 movie playback. I guess I too can re-hook the "straps" and ditch the line input but it really does sound better for music using the line level in for the bass info. I just can't find a happy medium.

Also, to maximize the sound quality for different sources (cd or DD 5.1 movies), it would be necessary to change my speaker settings from small to large and vice versa when switching from one source to another. How can I get the best of both worlds? It would seem to me they shouldn't hum! As far as eliminating the ground, RP3's don't have a ground prong. I have also tried a "power conditioner" and seperating the subs from the receiver amp by plugging into a different electrical circuit. Now what?

Can someone from Klipsch support answer the humming question? The owners manual implies that you CAN use both inputs simultaneously?

8.gif

Ah, So I am NOT the only one. Maybe we can get something figured out here. I agree that the lin inputs sounds MUCH better than using the jumpers, and I also was led to believe through the manuals wording that both connections could be used togethor.

Thanks for the post.

josh

Ok, I am having doubts now. I started to do some serious listining on these RP3's, and on some solo piano works, I can hear a slight noise, almost a buzz that seems to come from the left woofer (6.5") I had not noticed anything up to this point, but something like that will drive me nuts now that I have heard it. Any input from anybody on what it might be? I had an extra woofer that came with the RP's (they were demos), and that one made the same type of sound. Could it be the crossover? Wiring? HELP!

A frustrated newbie

josh7.gif

Do you hear it with just the LFE hooked up and the binding post straps installed or using line input with straps unhooked and no LFE input? All I can hear with the former hookup is my PVR & HDTV tuners hum, no noise from the speakers that I can discern. LFE is more important to me at this point so I'm not using the line level input.

The strange thing is, we both have the same main problem and my speakers are demo floor models also. On top of that, both of my 6.5" drivers failed in a month (thanks in part to my 11 year-old son and his lack of "counter-clockwise" understanding in this digital age). It took 3 1/2 months for my selling dealer to get me replacement parts.

That is quite a coincidence. I guess the rigors and abuse of demo use is something to watch out for in the future. I really think the noise that I am hearing might be the crossover, becuase I can hear something in the tweeter too. I guess I will just have to keep getting them fixed until something good happens. I got an excellent deal on these speakers though, so a little time and trouble is worth it.

Thanks for the response,

josh

• Klipsch Employees

The hum (most of the time) is a ground loop. It can come from many things, but the cable TV system is the worst for this. Try disconnecting the cable from the wall, does the Hum go away? If there is no hum with the cable disconnected, the cable is problem. A Magic Box can fix the problem. You can get this from our on line store. Look a shop from our main page on the site.

If not there are a few things we can go through.

1. Disconnect the speaker from everything BUT the wall outlet. Does the hum stop?

2. Connect just the speaker wires to the speaker, no rca. Does the hum stop?

If it hums with nothing connected, the amp may be the problem.

If it only hums with the rca cable connected, then the rca may be the problem.

IF none of this works, Email me or call and we can go from here.

• Like 1

Do you hear it with just the LFE hooked up and the binding post straps installed or using line input with straps unhooked and no LFE input? All I can hear with the former hookup is my PVR & HDTV tuners hum, no noise from the speakers that I can discern. LFE is more important to me at this point so I'm not using the line level input.

The strange thing is, we both have the same main problem and my speakers are demo floor models also. On top of that, both of my 6.5" drivers failed in a month (thanks in part to my 11 year-old son and his lack of "counter-clockwise" understanding in this digital age). It took 3 1/2 months for my selling dealer to get me replacement parts.