What to do, what to do...

beemer

Been out of circulation for a while - too many things going on around home and work, but I know of only one place to come for good, sound Klipsch advice (yeah, it's a pretty bad pun too...)

Have been very happy with my HT setup for a while, but - horrors! - the dreaded "upgradeitis" bug has hit again. My home is like many out there, designed 35 years ago with a basement most unsuited for a good media room. One has to make do with existing layouts for speaker placement, as well as keeping the wife happy (and not "tripping over those %#&@# speakers again").

My surrounds are placed on the floor about 15 feet back of the main listening area, with about 10' of seperation between them. Due to furniture and room constraints, one faces directly at listeners (at least backs of heads), while the other has to be twisted about 30 degrees from the first.

1st question; would I gain anything by switching from my 2.2's to something like a wall mounted surround such as an SS1 or RS3? Wall mounting might offer somewhat more latitude as to placement, although they would have to be mounted near the ceiling, instead of at ear level. Would WDST overcome any questions about angle of placement or am I asking for more trouble?

2nd question; if upgrading is the proper answer, which might be a better match to my current system - SS1's or RS3's? The SS1's would be a proper match for my center channel, but of course the RS3's are the next step up the ladder (or is bigger not necessarily better?) Spec wise, at least, both are close to the specifications of my mains (which are placed a bit off kilter too, but thats another story..)

Any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated.1.gif

Hi Beemer,

having a house over 50 years old I share your pain. Originally the surrounds in my system were cambridge sound newton which were on stands. They were smaller than my RS7s but being on stands everytime people walked by they would bump in the speaker and occassionally it would fall.

After returning the CS the RS7 were brought home. They are wall mounted and sure some sound is lost but the Mrs. is happy that they are out of the way. No cable to tripover, no stand to knock over and the wires are in the walls where they belong.

As far as matching are you going to upgrade all your speakers. The reason I ask Klipsch is coming out with an update line I believe next month.