Matching Speaker to Receiver Power Ratings

dbb

I've reviewed the posts that I could find that touched on this topic, but the replies given were mixed...

My Onkyo receiver is rated at 110W for each of the 7 channels.

For my 7.1 setup, I've been considering either the Klipsch Reference Series (RB-3, RS-3, RC-3, RSW-10), or the Synergy Series (SB-3, SS-1, SC-1, KSW-10 or -12).

Both the RB-3s and SB-3s are rated at 100W continuous. Offhand, it would make sense to have speakers with a rated continuous wattage that is equal to or greater than the receiver's rated output. But in actuality, do I really have a problem here?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

You have absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to overpowering these speakers... power handling ratings for speakers are conservative, and Klipsch speakers are so sensitive, it is doubtful you will ever play them loud enough to or send a signal to them that even considers using that full 110 watts.

I have run my Fortes with, in succession, 120, 185, and 200 watts per channel. My ears could not tolerate turning the volume past 30-40 percent of the turn of the volume knob; and my speakers have suffered no damage.

I agree entirely with Chuckears.

Both the speakers and amp you're talking about are pretty much middle of the road.

The specs on each would lead one to believe there is some necessity to match to two, but the situation is not that simple.

Very generally, the power specs one each end refer to what each will stand when pushed to within an inch of their capabilities. If you're doing that, there is plenty to go wrong. But you're not going to be doing that.

In your living room, you'll be dealing with power levels more like 1 watt typically. 10 watts would be very, very loud.

On the other hand, if you drag them out in the yard for a drunken party, failure of the speakers could be possible regardless of the nominal rating. But you're not doing that. Or are you? Am I invited?

Gil