Hooking up my La Scallas to computer/dvd/cd/tv?

JRuss

i have a pair of la scallas running off an older technics amp model sa-5270. i want to hook up my computer, dvd, tv and cd player to it. how should i do this. can it be done on this amp or do i need to find a better one? what is the best way to wire this? do i need anything special to go from the computer?

I believe you'll get some good results.

I use an old Sony and an old JVC to drive various horn loaded speakers with good results. I use the aux 1 input, which is pretty standard.

I haven't tried the computer output. I have used the output from a portable CD, which works well.

It has always been my experience that the audio outputs of consumer devices are pretty much the same electrically. They are probably all about 1 volt at a high impedance.

On the other hand the male and female connections vary in physical form. The connections for most home hi fi is a pair of RCA plugs whereas the output from the portable CD player uses a mini-phone (stereo) plug. Same is true of computer designs.

Many such appliances include a connecting cord from mini-phone plug to two RCA. Or you can buy such a cord at Radio Shack.

Gil