Woofer vs. Sub-Woofer???

Audio101

I have KM-6 speakers that are mainly used (75%)to watch regular TV (15%)watching DVD's and (10%) rocking to CD's and the radio. However, when I do watch DVD's and listen to music I want them to ROCK/SOUND GREAT - I had the understanding that the KM-6's had (sub)woofers built into them ... is there a difference between woofers and sub-woofers?? And would there be any benefit to my sound quality if I added a separate sub-woofer to existing system??

KM-6 Fronts

SC-1 Center

Infinity Rear's

Thanks

A101 - Your KM-6's have woofers, not subwoofers in them:

"Two-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) polymer dome compression driver tweeter with a 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn and two 10" (25.4cm) ICG cone woofers"

Difference between a woofer and a subwoofer is the frequency range they play in, with strong output. Woofers typically don't go below 35-40hz (just like yours) and go up as high as 1500-2000hz (yours go to 1600hz). That's a wide range.

Subwoofers play low bass loudly and cleanly (well, they do if they are good subwoofers), typically in the 20-100hz range.

I think any system benefits from a good subwoofer, but if most of your listening is TV, you won't get as much out of them as if it was mostly music and movies.

Thanks Doug ... that's just the sort of info I was looking for. I understand your point about not reaping the benefits of a sub-woofer if I use it mainly for regular TV .. however, I'm willing to spend the money for the small percentage of time I DO watch movies and listen to music. Can you give me your opinion on a nice sub-woofer. Understanding that I haven't won the powerball yet ....

Secondly, how important is matching the brand of sub-woofers with the rest of my Klipsch speakers??

{Reciever is Sony STR-DE925 w/ the Klipsch (KM-6) Front's and (SC-1) center ... and it looks as though soon to be ____ sub-woofer!!!}