Pilot 232 and Klipsch Heresey II

Randy Taylor

For everyone looking for a great sounding Tube amp to go with your Klipsch horn speakers you might look at the Two Pilot 232's on Ebay this week.I have a Pilot 232 that was rebuit with auricaps and Riken carbon film resistors and the sound that comes from my speakers is fantastic with this little EL84 based amp. Pilot was considered one of the best audio amps made in the late 50's and the early 60's.2.gif

Randy,

You sure hit the nail on the head there. The Pilot 232 Stereo Power amp is another hidden secret in vintage audio. I rebuilt one about 6 month ago for a guy with a matching preamp(the model of that escapes me) The amp was a very nice sounding piece a simple circuit with great Iron. I'd like to score me one for a keeper some day !!

Craig

I was lucky enough to win my Pilot on Ebay last summer for $180. but would not take a thousand dollors for it now. It's a keeper!! Last year I think I ran into six of them up for sale at different times and this is the first time I have seen two on Ebay at the same time. Two people are going to get a great amp. This amp of mine is just great with any kind of music but I think it is at it's best with classical, it's like you are right in the studio.

They really are a nice power amps !! One thing any newbie to tubes should know though is that it does require a preamp if the Amp is bought stand alone. Also the matching preamp isn't anything to write home about although works pretty good. These amps for the most part came from consoles. The one I rebuilt was actually a rare stand alone setup that was never in a console with a matching Preamp.

Craig

The Pilot 232 that I bought last year is one of the ones that came from the console, the only differents with the console ones and the stand alone ones is that the stand alone one is painted gold and has a tube cover, all the transformers and the circuit is the same on both types. I use the Bottlehead foreplay for the preamp and seems to be a great match. My Pilot 232 is not the prettiest to look, but the sound sure is pretty, with lots of "WOW" factor.6.gif