Newbie thread, please help

grades

I have read a few of your amazing posts, and to be honest im out of my realm. I am a computer geek at heart and started with a love for music. I bought the promedia v2-400, loved them, then decided to add a ksw 15 to give it some extra punch.

Its an old, meager setup i know, but i enjoy it. I just bought a Sony DAV-s300 dvd player and i want to hook that up to my computer speakers. I said before im a newbie... anyway im on a budget and all but do i need a receiver of some sort? i dont need an amp i know, but anyway, any help you could give would be great. thanks, and have fun

--grades

That Sony DAV-S300 is a full "Home Theater in a Box" setup? At least according to Sony's website, it is. Do you have all the speakers that came with it, or just the DVD player/unit itself? The big problem here is that the Promedia V2.400 are designed to be hooked up through a PC sound card, and not for HT applications, thus there are only the two connectors (the green "front" speakers" and the purple "rear" speakers). It is not until thier Promedia 5.1 did they start becoming more for HT, especially if you also get the Digital Dream 5.1 decoder unit. You can get the Digital Dream 5.1 system complete (includes the Promedia 5.1 speakers and the DD5.1 decoder), which should make a nice "poor-mans" HT setup.

However, I do think it is possible to hook up a Promedia V2.400, but I just simply cannot think of how to do it. I wish Justin was around, because I believe he had been able to succesfully hook up a set of Promedia speakers to work with a DVD player.

I guess you could buy a DVD drive for your comp. Of course If you could it would be preferable to ditch the comp part of your HT and go all components. I used to have my comp as part of my system but kept gettin Ac line hum and all this other shiznip. So now my comp and music system operate in entirely different, yet happier worlds.