RSA-500 Intermittent Problems

I have a RSA 500 driving a 5802 set of subs and about a month ago it was on but wasn't actually driving the subs. I checked all the wires and messed with the auto/on/trigger switch and nothing. Eventually I turned it off and back on and then it woke up worked just fine.

It's now not driving the subs again even though the power light is on. I tried to turn it off and back on. That didn't work this time. Then I tried unplugging it for a minute then turned it on still nothing.

Are there any other simple things I should try to get it to start working again?

17 hours ago, Hamezys said:

Are there any other simple things I should try to get it to start working again

Sounds like intermittent alright.

Could be something as simple as a resistor getting too warm.

Another person recently having a problem. Not a bench tech so recommend doing a search of this forum for the little amount of posts in archive on this amp. Always enjoyed mine. Kept mine in a cool place with plenty of air. If you are comfortable with electronics, you can unplug and take a look.

Welcome btw... @Hamezys

5 hours ago, billybob said:

Sounds like intermittent alright.

Could be something as simple as a resistor getting too warm.

Another person recently having a problem. Not a bench tech so recommend doing a search of this forum for the little amount of posts in archive on this amp. Always enjoyed mine. Kept mine in a cool place with plenty of air. If you are comfortable with electronics, you can unplug and take a look.

Welcome btw... @Hamezys

Thank you.

I just tried to switch from outputs 1 to outputs 2. Tried flipping the toggle from 0 to 180. I'm now updating the software on my couple month old Denon X4800H to see if that does anything. The auto off and on works fine so I know it's getting the signal at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hamezys said:

Thank you.

I just tried to switch from outputs 1 to outputs 2. Tried flipping the toggle from 0 to 180. I'm now updating the software on my couple month old Denon X4800H to see if that does anything. The auto off and on works fine so I know it's getting the signal at least.

Sounds like a plan... Stay with it and let know please... thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I fixed the problem. I replaced all the caps on the power supply PCB and 1 of the film caps. (I was gonna do all the small film caps but I ordered the wrong size so I just went with the regular caps and 1 film cap.)

Ordered a $15 soldering kit on Amazon with a manual sucker and $29 worth of caps from digikey (I ordered extra just in case I messed up) so I realistically have about $30 in the fix. I replaced the old Chinese ones with higher quality Japanese caps.

It sounds better than it ever did and can shake the whole house if I want it to.

• Like 1