KLF-20's

dugemac

Ok, i have a question for all you audiophiles out there. I am thinking about buying a pair of KLF-20's, but i don't know if my receiver will damage them or not. Right now i have a Sony db-1070 (power rating of 100X6). I have been looking at separate amps dedicated to these speakers but for now i have the money only to buy the speakers. What do you think??? I have been building my HT over the past 3 years. As of right now i have: F:SF-2 C:SC-1 LR/RR:SS-1 CR:SC-1 SW:KSW-15

thanks

As long as you do not push the receiver into clipping, you should be okay. You may be tempted to turn the volume up because it sounds so good and clean, but beware : send too much power ( via clipping ) and you might as well kiss those tweeters goodbye. Volume controls are logarithmic, and most often full output can be achieved with a volume setting half of the maximum. I don't want to scare you, but just be forewarned that turning up the volume too high can result in clipping, and can also cause driver failures.

A seperate power amp will help in one respect, but not in an other. One benefit is that you won't be running into clipping if you run up to a 100 watt drive level. The downside is that you may still cause damage if you throw caution to the wind and "let it all hang out". But this is not to say that you could nor use a more powerful amplifier, say like 250 watts rms IF you excercise proper restraint in it's operation. Even though you most likely will be listening at a much lower level, the more powerful amplifier will deliver more clean power on transients, which your speakers can handle. This is termed "headroom"

I'm a big fan of used equipment ! I tend to wander into the pawn shops, and they often have good deals on used amps and such. Last week, I picked up a used, near mint shape AKAI integrated amplifier '83-84 model year for the lowly sum of $29.99 canadian. It works great ! 80 watts rms into 8 ohms, will drive 4 ohm loads, has a + b speaker selectors, a massive shielded torroidal transformer and an equally large heatsink for cool quiet operation. Plus being an integrated amp, you just use the volume control as the gain ( like a car amp ). You can use the existing receiver you have, and then run rca cords from the pre-amp outputs to a seperate amp and then out to the speakers. This is how I utilize my Marantz SR-4200. It feeds the input of the Philips Pa1200b power amp ( set gain, no adjustment ) an it powers my mains RF3II's.

Just remember to keep ALL your tone controls and eq settings (if any) to FLAT. If you plan on cranking those things a juiced up signal from teh preamp will make an amp clip quicker than you can say "Armageddon". I went through two pair of tweeter diaphrams with a Carver Receiver MX-150, an eq and a Carver TL-3100 cd player before I convinced myself what the problem was.

Now, I still have the eq at a mild bass boost (dbx 1231). Also, a long time ago someone here (I don't remember who) suggested connecting in-line a couple of automotive tail-light bulbs with one of the tweeter leads. After I did that there have been no ill effects in sound and I haven't blown another diaphram since.

BTW- I mothballed the Carver Receiver and cd player and now run a McIntosh C33 preamp, Rotel RB1018 amp(200wpc) and a McIntosh MVP-841 cd/dvd player.