How do I maximize an underpowered receiver

Woodtech

I have Klipsch RB61, RF52 and RC35 speakers. My old Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH has no output from the subwoofer channel and constantly goes in to overprotect so I'm replacing it with a new one. The best deal I could find on a new receiver with Bluetooth and WiFi is a Onkyo TX-NR5100 for $230. It outputs 80rms and my speakers are 100 and 125rms. Are there any settings I can use to ensure there is no clipping? I love loud music so I can't trust myself to just maintain a low level and I definitely don't want to damage my speakers but I also want to maximize the loudness. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Woodtech
Adding thanks

Don't crank up the bass controls that the receiver has.  That'll be the fastest way to suck out all the power it has.  If you are using a subwoofer, make sure all your speakers are set to small and let the subwoofer handle the bass.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Woodtech said:

Thats some great advice. I'll set them to small and adjust the crossover to limit the bass. Is there a way to measure clipping? I'm not sure my ears will pick it up.

You’ll hear it.

• Like 2