Anyone taken their sats apart?

Windstorm

I am in the process of installing 16 gauge wire for my 4.00's, and have decided to solder it directly to the speaker, getting rid of the miniplug altogether. I have a sat opened up as I write this, and have noticed that the only thing between the tweeter and midrange driver is a 2.2uF capacitor. Seeing how Klipsch boasts an "improved crossover network" in the 4.1, I was wondering if anyone knows what the 4.1's use? Maybe if it is just a different cap I can change it myself... instant upgrade?

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

Ahh yes, thanks for the links. It looks lika a significant difference - the 4.00 have just a single cap, the new ones.. a cap, a coil (transformer??) and some other components... now we see where part of the extra $50 went.

Now for the inevitable question... Klipsch people, can we get our hands on those crossover boards for a small fee? Having seen the inside of the sat, it doesn't seem too difficult to change...

------------------

Just on a side note, when building your own audio equipment, especially with respect to amps and crossovers, you need to be skilled in soldering as it is very easy to degrade the signal through cold solder joints or other such problems. That's just something you might want to think about before you think about screwing around with the crossover network.

-snap-

Ahh yes, thanks for the links. It looks lika a significant difference - the 4.00 have just a single cap, the new ones.. a cap, a coil (transformer??) and some other components... now we see where part of the extra $50 went.

Now for the inevitable question... Klipsch people, can we get our hands on those crossover boards for a small fee? Having seen the inside of the sat, it doesn't seem too difficult to change...

------------------

Grrr....Can't delete post...

Yes I know soldering audio equipment is a pain in the ***... but I've done it before. Just finishe soldering wire directly to the speakers... time to enjoy my reward.

------------------

My point wasn't that soldering audio equipment is a pain in the ***. It was that when soldering audio equipment you have to make sure that you use the right type of solder, the wires (if you are using any) are the right kind, audio equipment is especially sensitive to all sorts of externalities, and by adding components in close proximity to the existing crossover could introduce noise into your system. In other words, there are a lot of places where things can go wrong, and you can end up degrading the overall performance of your speakers rather than increasing. Just something for you to think about and to help you to see if it the added benefits of a new crossover would be worth the risk involved. Anyway, good luck if you do decide to upgrade the crossover.

-snap-