High Pitched Whine, I need some tech advice!!

Mattler

I'm getting a very intrusive high pitched (about 7-9khz) whine in my rear left channel, and slightly in my front left. I did talk to tech support on the phone and they said it might be a bad channel coming out of the sub. I'm really hoping that isn't the case because it's not under warranty, and I'm a poor college student that can't afford rent (because I bought this system instead!) 10.gif

I've been trying to troubleshoot it on my own. Here's what I got so far. The system is placed right above a couple AC adapters, which have been known to make noise. I've moved the system away from them, and put it into different wall plugs, but to no avail. I've upgraded my wires to a decent 16 guage wire, again, to no avail. I've tried different sats on the channel in question (the rear left), to no avail. Three things that are important to note: The noise doesn't happen right when the system's turned on. It needs a good 10 minutes or so before the noise becomes loud enough to notice. Secondly, when I unplug the three other channels, the noise virtually goes away. When I plug in another channel, the noise gets a bit louder, until all three others are plugged in and it's at its loudest. I don't believe it's because of the wires crossing over eachother on the way to the speakers, as I've moved them all over the room and even put old black wires on the other three channels, while the channel in question had the new wire on it (and vice versa as well). I really hope someone out there might have a simple solution to this (short of replacing the sub!). And finally, I should mention that this happens regardless of whether or not the system is plugged into my sound card or directly into another CD player with my computer turned off (and even unplugged). Anyway, I hope this is enough info!

Cheers folks!

Mattler

-AMD T-bird, 1400mhz

-640mb RAM

-40gb HD (7200RPM),

-SB Live! 4.1 Value

-M-Audio Audiophile 2496

-Win XP Pro.

I appear to be having the exact same problem as Mattler. However, on my system the noise is focused on my front left channel.

I too have tried putting it into different wall plugs, no dice. I've tried switching the sats around and the noise is always on the same channels. The noise happens all the time, even when the system is turned off (Red LED). I thought I might need to replace my soundcard but then realized the noise is there regardless of whether or not the system is plugged into my sound card.

Unlike Mattler's situation, when I unplug the other channels the noise still seems to be just as loud. The only way I've managed to get rid of the noise is by unplugging the front left sat altogether.

This is my *third* pair of 4.1's. The first ones had the exact same problem so I returned them and purchased another set from a different store. The second ones had a defective sub/amp as there was no power going to the system at all. Now the third ones are displaying the same problem as the first. I seem to have the greatest luck with these things.

I'm not sure if it is important or not, but my system specs are very similar to Mattler's.

-AMD T-bird, 1200mhz

-256mb RAM

-40gb HD (7200RPM),

-SB Live! 4.1 Value

-Win XP Pro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Banquo

Hey Banquo... I took my sub to my college's electronics department. They specialize in sound stuff and only cost 20 bucks (and only if they fix it successfully). If they do fix the problem, I'll get a detailed description as to what was wrong and how they fixed it and then let you know so you can make your own decision. By the way, my system isn't under warranty, so this is my only option (not sure if you've got a warranty or not).

Good luck!

Matt

I also have the same problem with my system, the speakers seem to produce a high pitch noise after 10 minutes of plugging in, the problem is specially focussed on the front right channel. It becomes less prominent if i unplug the rears from the system, but there is still a slight noise present at that time as well. The quality on the satellites is also not up to the mark, i have compared it with other 4.1s and the high frequency response is just not good enough, also the bass is not as tight and loud as it should be..... has anybody had these symptoms alongwith the noisy channels?, any help would be really appreciated as i don't live in the US and i would have to get my 120V unit repaired from a 230V dealer.

Hey Mattler. Let me know how it goes. I just purchased my system this week so I still have the warranty coverage. I emailed Klipsch tech support and was told to exchange the system, however I believe is no longer an option for me. I guess I will have to send it away for repairs too.

-Banquo

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone please tell me if this hissing noise and tweeter popping sound is normal. I just got them TODAY. Can someone walk me through the setup process with windows. I have windows XP home edition . EVEN at low volumen the satellaties sound like they're about to explote ... horrible sound ... I have a pretty new gateway computer with a 6 port sound card...

I need some help here guys ... I appreciate it

thanks

hey!!!!

thats the exact same problem as my 4.1s have! a whine from the rear left channel.... it seems that no matter which speaker i hook up to the rear left channel, i still get that whine.

it appears to come from the tweeter so i can only assume that it has to be atleast 5khz....

i am trying to exchange the sub for another.

i will certainly post once i get my new sub - sometime in may.

it hurt innova?? Oh man, that sucks dude... although mine (Left rear) whine all the time, even if the system volume in windows is muted, its really barely audible. Kind of like white noise that can be heard from 1-2 feet away. What you described, innova, is something like a screeching noise... i wonder what could be causing that.

My previous set of 4.1's emitted a slight but annoying buzz from my front left channel... I was told to return the unit to the retailer. It seems like this is not an uncommon problem with the 4.1's... if you do a search for threads regarding issues of this kind you'll find several.

I've had the new unit for over a year without a similar problem.... sorry if the news is discouraging.

Come to think of it.... I was lucky enough to have purchased the 3-year service plan from Best Buy.... If any of you unwarrantied types live near western Massachusetts, maybe I can help you out.

If I suddenly developed a buzzing noise, I believe I'd be able to upgrade to the 5.1's, since they don't sell the 4.1's anymore....

I don't know what it was, it was either the amp or the sound card. In the hardware settings we had to back it down to basic features which is 50% sound card potental which stoped it. It was weird though, cause it never happened before. When I reinstalled the drivers for my soundcard however, I was able to play anything fine at whatever hardware setting I wanted it. I really need to find another card other the the SB Live! 5.1.

try the audigy innova.

either the audigy 1 or the audigy 2.

audigy 2 is much better than the first, its dac and adc can be set to 24bit/96khz, whereas the first audigy's dac and adc can be only set to 16bit/48khz.

plus with audigy 2 you get real good games like hitman2 and soldier of fortune 2, which in my mind make the audigy 2 an even better purchase.