RC-7 or RF-7 as surrounds

shoe11

Anyone besides the Ear using RF-7's for surrounds? Anyone using RC-7's? I know the wide dispersion would be lost with either case, but using either would allow the same tweeter driver to be used for all 5 channels. Additionally, I don't watch alot of movies, but I am interested in DVD/A and SACD when it finally matures. I've upgraded the rest of my pieces. Just not sure what to go with for the rear surrounds. Any thoughts on these two models for the rear would be appreciated.

~shoe

I thought the RS-7 did use the same tweeter as the RF-7. Aren't they the same size? ...I'll have to take a look see.

But, to the point; I'd use RS-7's for sure. I like 'em real well with my front horns. They do a good job of disappearing, which is what a surround speaker should do. I think the RC or RF 7 would be too directional, unless placed tightly in a corner. But even then, I think the RS wins because you can easily place them up over ear level where they can bounce more sound off the ceiling and walls of the room, thus enhancing the diffusion of the surround channels output.

I'm not going to get into the "bouncing surround sound off walls argument", I'll leave that for others, and for your own opinion.

However, the RS-7 does not use the same tweeter as the RF-7 and RC-7. RB-5II's also use a different tweeter than the RF-7 and RC-7. The horn sizes are what is the same.

I think the new RB-75 is supposed to use the same tweeter as the RF-7 and RC-7, you may want to wait for those to come out (that's what I'm doing).

-PB

I also use RF-7's for my surround left and right. They replaced RS-7's . I also use RF-7s for my fronts. I liked the RS-7's and they sounded pretty good however I preferred the direct approach in my room. I have RF-5s for rear surrounds. While Im sitting in the sweet spot they really can put you in the middle of WWII or watching an alien spacecraft land or have you experience bullets flying over and around your head. Hmmmmmm. On second thought I have heard the same things without turning my system on. 2.gif

Well I decided on a set of RB-5's. I'm much more music than HT oriented, so I wanted a standard direct speaker that could provide surround for the occasional movie, but also be stolen away for use in a bedroom system. Somehow the idea of lugging a set of RF-7's back and forth just wasn't very appealing. 2.gif

~shoe