DENON 3300

tbird1

True Newbie here,

This is a tremendous site !!!!!!!!

Applause to all who help us less educated out.

Where is the best site to post specific questions pertaining to the Denon 3300.

Being somewhat new to high-end equipment and facing that remote and manual is freakin brutal.

Since this is not a "Denon" site, and their site is weak, I'm sort of at a loss.

I'm looking for a location where the response isn't always:

"Make sure unit is plugged in" or

"Make sure the power is on"

Ignorant and stupid are two different things if you know what I mean.

TBIRD

Ok - Here goes,

Denon 3300 - I cant figure out why both the speaker A and B lights are both on while I'm only running one set of speakers. I sort of get why A/B is used but I'm not NEARLY to that point yet. Also, (quite irrating by the way) is that the 3300 shuts down when I only slightly increase volume to a regular listening level. I hear an audible "CLICK" then the system cuts itself off.

Is this connected ??

Currently I only have the 3300 and RB-5's which will be my main speakers. I'll be getting the RC-3's this week.

I'll tell ya, thus is going to be one long learning process. Any help would be appreciated.

tbird

tbird1 - I can relate to your <ahem> fear of the Denon 3300. I have one and spent many an hour agonizing over why it was (wasn't?) doing something. And yes...that remote is, well...you know.

Anyhow, have you been thru the so-called set-up menu yet? In there is an option to select your surrounds. The speaker A & B lights you refer to are the surrounds, not the mains. In the set-up menu, turn the surrounds off by selecting "none".

If you need more help, just ask. And I'm available off-line as well. Believe me, there's no stupid question you could ask about that reciever - I've taken care of that a loooong time ago. smile.gif

Tom Adams

Ummmmm,

The "Set-up" part is #34 on my "How the hell do you do this" list. Am I supposed to see this on my 3300 or the TV.

I followed the steps in the manual but no luck. Can anyone sort of walk me through this ?? Do special connections need to be made to the 3300 inputs to see this set-up menu??

A THOUSAND THANKS !!!

tbird - I also have a 3300. The setup menus appear on your TV. For that to work, you need a video cable run from the monitor out jack on the 3300 to the video in jack on your TV. Select that source on your TV, and when you press the Setup button on the remote, you should see the setup menu for the receiver. The items are arranged in logical sequence, and it will step through them with you.

As Tom said, you need to change the speaker configuration section and set Surround B to none. Set Surround A to none also if you have no surround speakers connected.

If the receiver still shuts down, you may have a short in one of the speaker wires that is causing the receiver to go into "protect" mode. There are other possible causes, but try that first (and make sure the wires from the speaker leads aren't touching at the speaker or receiver binding posts.

Also, "Make sure unit is plugged in" or "Make sure the power is on". (LOL).

Doug

I also own a 3300, and even of you have no surrounds plugged into the A or B speaker outputs and both of them turned on, that should not cause a shut down.

The 3300 shuts down when there is a short, having no speaker hooked up is the opposite of a short. If I were you I would check the connections to your main speakers. Sometimes just a strand of the wires touching each other is anough to cause a short.

But stick with it, it may take a little time to get set up just the way you want it but once you do it's a great reciever.

I truly want to thank you all for responding.

I'm just visualizing the time I spent just lying on the floor staring at the receiver, then manual/receiver/push a button/manual/push a different button twice/manual .........

Now I have some legitimate direction.

It makes a lot of difference !!!!!!!

tbird

The depth of my lack of knowledge on this denon 3300 has found new depths. I cannot even get the "SETUP" on the screen. Just ran out to Radio Shack, (with one shoe) and bought a Gold series audio/video cable. Plugged it into the 3300 "Y Monitor Out" to the tv's (Proscan PS35123)video input. This is, I take it, a one-to-one connection Vs. a duel connection.

My happy thoughts vanished when I hit the system setup and nothing changed.

It's NOT the system, It's me. I'm man enough to admit this. It's only been in use for a couple days. HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPP !!!

I think you're plugged into the component video. Try the monitor (c-video) connection. It's at the bottom of the unit just left of the ventilation holes. The MD/Tape audio inputs are just to the left of c-video connection that you want to use. Hope this helps.

Also, check pg. 8 of your user manual for the MONITOR OUT connection.

Thanks Matt,

No luck. I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. I got new batteries for the remote, I took deep breaths, rubbed my Genie, clicked my heels 3 times, I even did the Hokie-Pokie and turned myself around.

BOTTOM LINE - It's something simple. I know it. Other than breathing, I need a true step x step walk through. Do I need the remote black audio or Deck MD button in a certain position. Does my tv need to be in a certain mode to accept remote functions ? Does the 3300 need to be in a particular mode. Let's leave no stone unturned.

It's normally the little things that monkey wrench things.

thanks to all in advance.

I'll give it a shot:

1) Set both the black slider switches on the remote to the far left position.

2) Connect a video cable from the monitor out on the 3300 (as described above) to the video in (RCA jack) on your TV.

3) On the TV remote or front panel, there is a selection for the source (probably labeled TV/Video). Select the video input that you have the 3300 plugged in to. Some TVs have multiple video inputs, so be sure you are selecting the correct one.

4) Turn on the 3300.

5) Press the setup button on the remote -- it's under the flip cover, in the upper left part of the area where the 4 directional keys are.

That should be it. But as you say, there is probably some detail missing here. Someone else here on the board had a problem getting the OSD (on screen display) to show up as well. Try searching using "Denon 3300 setup" as key words.

Also, there is a setup option in the Denon that disables the OSD. Wonder if that's the problem? You might need to look in the manual to see how to change that setting from the front panel of the 3300, in case it is set to OFF.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Ray - I read that and busted out one of those laughs that's usually reserved for those moments when a crowd noise suddenly goes silent and you're the only YELLING. I mean, six guys turned around and looked at me. smile.gif

I walked into my house after a three day motorcycle trip and there was the wife watching TV, in the bedroom, sitting in the rocking chair she had dragged from the living room. Against my better judgement, I asked "Uhhh, honey, why are you in here watching TV?" Her head spun around 7 times, the room got cold, the door slammed shut behind me and she said, "Because I got tired of trying to figure out that *&%#$ remote for that *&^@%$# stereo just to watch a effin' show on that grumblgruff TV!"

tbird1 - We ARE NOT having fun at your expense. Merely re-living past dilemmas we now find humorous. So, put the Denon box away. There's no need to pack it back up. This will pass.

Tom Adams

Tom,DougDrake,Erik,or anyone within earshot !

TBIRD1 here,

I think part of the prob is the reference to this elusive "TV source" which needs to be selected. What, where is it ??

Where do I choose this function. My TV is has all the bells whistles and it's setup menu consists of but sleep timer, parental control, clock set, etc. Nothing about selecting a source.

Wife is surfing web for arsenic !!!

Cat looking for nearest Rottweiler

Tbird1- We all feel your pain on this one. All owner's manuals for electronic products are written/translated from Japanese to English by 19 year old co-op students who are non-english speaking. No offense to anyone of any ethnic or religious backgrounds....purely a sarcastic comment.

Ok, on my Sony and Mitsubishi TV's there is a button on both the TV and remote that will allow you to change the INPUT/Source signal. For example, once you have the cables plugged in as described above you should read the input you plugged the TV Monitor out cable into.....On my Mitsu it has Input A and Input B and a S-Video input, yours are probably marked similarly to this. Just make sure that you have your TV switched to that input before you push the OSD (on-screen display) button on your Denon remote. On my TV's, if you keep pushing the Input button on the remote or TV, they will scroll from Cable to Input A to Input B to S-Video and then back to Cable. I'm trying to keep it simple......Does this do anything??? Maybe we should have a contest here for whoever provides the correct advice to get you going. Good Luck.

Bloomis914 - Stage 1 winner !!!!

SETUP ACCOMPLISHED PER YOUR INPUT.

I had to run out a soft bunt, but I'm on 1st base. The Umpire got chewed out by opposing coach but the call stands.

FANS ARE GOING FREAKIN WILD !!!!!!!!!

Ut-oh,

My next issue is I have no sound out of speakers now.

1 - Settings are as follows:

2 - FRONT - LARGE (EVERYTHING ELSE - NONE)

I HAVE THE RB-5's only at this time. More to come as I succeed.

3 - VDP AND TV/DBS (OPTICAL 2)

4 - ON SCREEN DISPLAY (ON)

5 - EXT.IN &MULTI (6CH)

6 - MULTI VOL. LEVEL (VARIABLE)

NOTE - BASS OUTPUT OPTION ONLY COMBINES FRONT/SUBWOOFER. I CHOSE THAT VS. "SUBWOOFER ONLY"

NICE SLIDE INTO 2ND BASE COULD GET THE WIFE OFF THE ARSENIC SEARCH.

TBIRD1