Now I have FOUR Cornwalls!!!

Vavoline

Well, they started out life as Cornwall Decorator Models, Black Birch. Year 1977. HOWEVER, the guy, who was the original owner, was apparently unhappy with black, so he paid a Cabinet maker to "Fix" them. This consisted of basically building another cabinet around the tops, sides and bottom, out of Walnut Veneered Plywood, leaving the motorboard and the back panels alone. Yeah, I thought it was kind of a weird Mod, but they sounded perfect, and the guy did a pretty good job. I have been wanting to start on a HT, and these would be a perfect timbre match for my 1976 Cornwalls. So for $500, I said "why not"?

I auditioned them, and handed the guy $500. He really didn't want to sell them, but his wife was putting the pressure on. After we loaded them and I was about to get in my truck to leave, I thought he was going to cry. I assured him they were going to a loving home, and left.

After getting them home, I A/Bed them against my 76s, and they sounded as good if not better. I only had a few minutes to listen before I had to get in here to work, but I thought they did sound a little better. My question is this : Could the slight sonic difference be attributed to the reinforced and stiffer sides, top and bottom?

----------------

On 2/19/2003 7:01:59 PM Vavoline wrote:

I auditioned them, and handed the guy $500. He really didn't want to sell them, but his wife was putting the pressure on. After we loaded them and I was about to get in my truck to leave, I thought he was going to cry. I assured him they were going to a loving home, and left.

----------------

I don't know if I should be happy for you or sad for the guy that gave them up 6.gif. Anyway, nice find and at least, they are still going to be used and appreciated 1.gif (as opposed to being stuck in storage or sold for parts on eBay). As to your question about the differences, I really don't know. Did you swap these in place of your other ones? If not, it could simply be due to the difference in placement.

Congrats on your second pair of Cornwalls (lucky dog!)...1.gif

I'm wondering if the added cabinetry, if attached and braced properly, does indeed make the latest Cornwalls sound better. My Cornwalls are very robust (as are yours)...you rap your knuckles on the sides and you can tell these loudspeakers are well made. Still, others on this Forum still think that they could be braced better to reduce or eliminate cabinet vibrations that could muddy the bass notes. With your added veneer all around the cabinets, they may actually be absorbing low-range vibrations. Is your bass tight and deep, and not boomy?

Just an observation is all...Good luck with your additional horns! 2.gif

jt1, Yes the bass is tight, although not noticeably more so than my other pair. As I said, I didn't have but a few minutes to listen/compare, and it's hard to pinpoint what the difference is, just that there does seem to be some slight difference. I will do more testing/listening over the next two weeks while I'm off work.