Heresy date please

bbbdave

Looking for the manufacture date on my Heresys ( old style ) sn 57S432 and 57S433.

I'm new to this, so any thoughts on this particular vintage would be appreciated. I know they sound GREAT, so that's all that really matters, but I enjoy what I've been reading from you fanatics. Glad to be a part of it !

P.S. I'm using these with an old Adcom GFP-1A preamp and GFA-2 amp. I like the "up-front in-your-face" sound!

Many thanks,

Dave

1978. They probably have square magnet tweeters that perform slightly better than the AlNiCo tweeters. The Crossover should be a Type E that runs the squawker and tweeter 3 dB hotter than the woofer, thus the "sound" you mentioned.

Thanks John!

I've recently been looking for a replacement preamp as my GFP-1A is getting a bit noisy in one channel. I bought a newer Adcom on Ebay and it sounds completely different - lifeless in my opinion. No separation, no detail. As you can tell, I haven't been looking for equipment for a while ( almost everything is 20 + years except the CD player ). I can't help but notice that the newer equipment has gotten "softer" sounding - even the Adcoms. Evidently they're trying to imitate the higher end equipment. Not having much luck finding stuff that sounds like what I'm accustomed to. Any suggestions ?

Scott 222C with a Craig workover. I have two of these, one hooked up to a pair of really nice Heresy's and it's killer. Post over in the two-channel section, somebody might have one available. I bought one for $150 on ebay, spent $80 or so on caps and resistors. It sounds great, and it doesn't have nice tubes in it at all. I've been buying up some tubes for it, I'll have it up and running again as soon the Mullard 12ax7's come in.

Tom