Worth the investment??

MASTER_G

I've already invested over 500 dollars ($400 Klipsh 5.1, $150 Creative Labs Extigy) in a speaker system for my computer so I am not really willing anymore to continue shelling out money unless its really something that I could use. My Extigy currently supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and thats about it. This other little magic box Klipsch has will do that plus DTS, something else, and its THX certified. This is very attractive but is it worth the extra 150 bucks??? Besides, Creative is planning on doing an Extigy 2 that would probably support all this stuff. So is it still worth it?? And finally, how can I hook this little box up to my Extigy card or computer for that matter so that it will do the decoding like its supposed to? And just one more thing, what other features does this DD-5.1 incorporate in addition to the decoding? I would think it would have some other little goodies in store considering that it was built by Klispch and assumably for Klipsch stuff.

PS- BTW. WHERE THE H3!! CAN I GET ONE OF THESE THINGS!?!?!?! I have looked to the far reaches of the globe and beyond and have found NOTHING. Anyone know?

The DD-5.1 is only practical if you plan on hooking it up to a console gaming system or your home DVD player. I'm not sure if the Extigy does DTS but all Audigy 2 cards do. It would seem reasonable to assume the Extigy 2 would support DTS also.

Basically you can hook it up with your digital output. There's a coaxial(RCA) and an optical line-in for digital. There's also 3 sets of analog lines for your cable/satellite, gaming system, VCR, etc. and a G9 port(Digital DIN). It also has bass management (for large speakers), a programmable 5-band equalizer, Dynamic Range Compression (which most newer DVD players have anyways), speaker delay, environment reverb settings and ProLogic.

I have seen a few on ebay but I hate buying used electronics so I just spent some of my tax return on one directly from klipsch.com. 1.gif

----------------

On 2/24/2003 6:20:15 PM derik wrote:

The audigy 2 cards support dts??? I have one and I was under the impression that it only supported thx and dd. I don't see anything on the box about dts. It would be great if it actually does support it. Even better than I thought it was.

----------------

My bad.. it was my DVD software that was doing the decoding. But that's a moot point anyways as you still need DVD software to even play a DVD to begin with. 5.gif For some reason I was thinking of the "6.1" on the box being a DTS pitch.

Since DTS isn't even a recognized standard in consumer home-audio yet, I doubt you'll see any PC components that support it anytime soon. But you really don't need a DD-5.1 if you're only going to watch DVD's on your PC with it. Most any DVD software will do the DTS decoding on its own.